Discuss Question regarding instant water heater fuse and main fuse box question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

darrenbilly

Good evening all, I have two questions for you, which I would very much appreciate input on :>)

1:
I have a Stiebel Eltron DHC hydraulic instantaneous water heater in my toilet room, next to my bedroom. It has not worked since we moved in two weeks ago. It has a switch spur in close proximity, that had a 13a fuse in, which I have found is not sufficient. I have found that it needs a 30a fuse however, I have not seen a 30a fuse that would fit in to a switch spur, so what's the deal with that...? Wrongly installed, or do they actually exist?

2:
After only 12 days of living here, I worked out how much electricity we had used (we have moved in to an electric only bungalow, with eco 7). Not being use to the setup, I wanted to see what the bill would be. After this relatively short period, we had used £130 of electric. On that basis we were looking at paying £260 for one month. I felt this was wrong and that there may have been an issue with the meter. Then three days ago the lights,fridge and microwave started flickering. Then I noticed the main fuse, where the electricity enters the house (the little black box) was making a clicking/scraping noise, as we had not been here long we assumed it had always done that but, the next morning I was awoken by the microwave turning on and off (it beeps when it powers up) and loud hissing/banging coming from the fuse box, we knew there was something wrong, but could not deal with it at the time, so when we returned home in the evening and noticed the lights going on a mad one and then blue sparks coming out of said fuse box, we were glad when it shut itself off. National Grid were called and turned up within two hours, they noticed right away that the neutral cable entering the fuse box was very hot and loose. I must point out that we noticed the little wire clips had been cut on this beforehand... They were quite shocked at what had happened, but said due to its age it wasn't unsurprising to have worked itself loose... They changed the cable and everything is fine. Since that happened I have been taking meter readings and working out the cost, only around £4 a day, far less than it was. SO my question, at last, is it possible this serious cabling error was causing the meter to clock up faster than it should have? We are using the same amount of electric, but the unit usage has gone down considerably. Is it at all possible?

Thank you in advance

You're being charged for all that heating up of the cable(s), it doesn't come free you know!! lol!!

What for the life of me i can't understand, is that you left the system on and working ''Knowing'' that something was very wrong. You should think yourself lucky you had a house to come home too!!

I take it from your post that you moved in not knowing what had been done, correct? You need to get your electrical installation checked out as a matter of urgency, you have been extremely lucky so far as Eng 54 says, get it checked out, see if you can find out who the cowboy was who installed this heater and get him back, if it's a rental speak to the landlord, if it's a private buy, well I don't know.

if you can get the KW rating of the water heater we can then determine what type of circuit it will need. as said above, an inspection of the installation is recommended. if you post your location..........

1) As Tel says give us the kW rating of the heater so we can determine the rating required but I think I can say with 99% confidence that if its an instant hot water heater 13A is not the correct rating!

2) As Pete recommends, if you've had problem with the supply Neutral (and the water heater fusing) I would be worried about what eles may be wrong in the house so get someone in to do an EICR for your piece of mind! Next time you might not be so lucky ......

Reply to Question regarding instant water heater fuse and main fuse box question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock