Discuss Question regarding neutral for Ring final Circuit. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

simple test for end/end. use a megger and an apprentice. croc clip one lead to 1 end of the RFC cable. get the app. to hold the other end in one hand and the other megger lead in the other hand. blast it at 1000v. if he squeals, then you have a circuit

simple test for end/end. use a megger and an apprentice. croc clip one lead to 1 end of the RFC cable. get the app. to hold the other end in one hand and the other megger lead in the other hand. blast it at 1000v. if he squeals, then you have a circuit
do you reccomend wet or dry apprentices for this test? lol

slightly damp gives best results. ( that refers to the above post, not nubile young virgins )

I only came back onto this site yesterday after a good 6 Months away due to doing other work whilst Sparks was quiet. I finished my qualies 2 years ago. I did nightschool for 3 years. Granted I was working for a couple of Guys and this forum alongside that helped enormously if I had a head scratcher that neither the Spark or College could answer to a satisfying point, but I never leant on this forum like some posts I've read yesterday. Lads realing off C&G question sheets! Initially the thing that attracted me to training as an electrician was the amount of work involved and by knuckling down & thinking the problem through yourself is satisfying and responsible to the point of having learnt.

And if still after sharing your thoughts it's not kicking in, we'll all get the help we need from somebody.

That happened to me when I was serving my time they said they had to measure the resistance in my body so they could calculate the total so like a fool I was up an attic and they shouted Are you holding on tight son Yes I said realy tight Yes I shouted then I screamed

Tony the prob with the OP was it was misleading ?
It came across as a Q but then as a an exam Q ?
The exam could have said test this RFC ? so do we have interconnects ? spurs ? its so vague mate.

Grumpy you ? LMFAO
J

If I were a newbie to electrical work, attempting to understand what all these different colours were and why there are so many wires stuffed into small boxes on the wall then I think i would be pretty cagey about declaring my ignorance in case someone splattered my developing confidence across the carpet.....

Having said that I suppose I should come clean and declare myself as Ulrika 38,24,36 and I usually get my bits out when I'm on site.

If I were a newbie to electrical work, attempting to understand what all these different colours were and why there are so many wires stuffed into small boxes on the wall then I think i would be pretty cagey about declaring my ignorance in case someone splattered my developing confidence across the carpet.....

Having said that I suppose I should come clean and declare myself as Ulrika 38,24,36 and I usually get my bits out when I'm on site.
Ulrika I think you're wrong. I reckon if someone came on and said all that I reckon they'd get a lot more help than slating. I'd be very willing to help.
You do realise that your real ID will be disregarded from now on don't you:)

Like every single member on here I too have had to study.

There is nothing wrong in not knowing the answer. NOBODY knows everything.

My beef on this forum is far too many posters just jump in with a question and expect the answer handed to them on a plate. This will not get you anywhere as when you sit your exams you do so by yourself without your phones so how will you pass the exam not KNOWING the answer???

It would be greatly appreciated if posters could post a question with at least some kind of addition to what they think or what it is exactly they don't understand.

This question was probably one of the most stupidist things I have ever seen posted!

If you're not getting N-N but getting L-L, E-E continuity then it blatantly means that there is MOST DEFINITELY an interruption somewhere. Divide and conquer and you'll find exactly where!!!

Normally you can see the exam questions posted a mile off just by the title.

As for the attitude? Well seems he'll make an excellent spark in that department so long as he/she can master the words "Get a spark in" for replies on this forum lol

Ta ta for now :D

:thumbsup

Ulrika I think you're wrong. I reckon if someone came on and said all that I reckon they'd get a lot more help than slating. I'd be very willing to help.
You do realise that your real ID will be disregarded from now on don't you:)

I think in a perfect world we would be very happy to help those who are struggling to understand the basic concepts of both the theory and practice to this trade/profession. But it doesn't take that much to raise the hackles when some newbie asks what he thinks is an intelligent post to find someone or a group of someones jump out of the woodwork , and as for my new persona, I think I'll go back to Kevin-with-fishnets.....

I do think there is a real possibility that some of the young kids are going to think more than twice about looking for help on this site if we are not careful.
Does it really matter whether the question is a job specific question or to do with college? I can easily understand why they are not up front occasionally if they are going to have to face some of the responses evident in this thread.
Yes the question was obvious, but that is indicative of a young student struggling. Surely if he finds the answer to his question (easily) here, coupled with a good explanation to it,how can that be a bad thing?
I really think we should be accessible to these kids and answer politely all questions, stupid or sensible. As regards 'attitude' we should lead by example.

Dagrat I dont think it is to do with attitude and I have mentioned this before a lot of guys like me are still alive and kicking because the guys we trained with expected high standards because they had that self discipline that sadly is lacking today so if you are expecting touchy feely then forget it and if you take this personally then more fool you because its you that needs to learn and what amazes me is the I have a problem you sort it out for me because I am too lazy to learn plus I am a gentle soul. Nope here is the deal you want my knowledge then start by showing me respect and have the humility to thank me when it works out.

Plus you want to learn well here is a few tips when asking a question give as much info as you can and add some pictures so for example why is the Zs so high ? should be Why is the Zs so high here is the Zs ,Ze PFC,PSSC, and IR readings and some pictures.

Now after reading this you may be thinking who the hell does he think he is and I wont be spoken to like this then you are in the wrong game as one of my tradesman used to say some of you laddies think I am having a go at you but I am making sure that you are learning and you are taking it in because son I am a professional and its not personal but if you turn out to be a fool who has not got a clue then this will reflect on me.

I have said this before anyone posting on this forum should have to accept that fools will not be tolerated because electricity is a serious business

Old timer I think you have taken my comments personally. I was not attempting to insult anyone, I was purely making a few observations. We have to understand that when a question is posted we can answer it or leave it, it's that simple. I dont think anyone is expecting a "touchy freely" response From anyone. i suggest that as each question is made in a few lines, it is almost impossible to take anything personally and even easier to get the wrong impression of the op.
This is borne out by your reference to me as a "laddie" and "son", because I started sparking in the 1970s and now with almost 40 years in the game. ( although I'm grateful for the compliment)
All I'm suggesting is that what might seem a ludicrous question to you and me, only requires a response or ignore it. But bear in mind that a positive response reflects far more favourably on all of us on this forum.
The background you speak of was very similar to mine, but I am grateful to many of the older sparks in those days for answering my questions with patience.

dagrat I read your post with a degree of disbelief I truly did, his first post was this...

I am carrying out the continuity for a ring final test for a single phase TN-S system. When doing the end to end Neutral I don't get a reading!! What is wrong here and what Code does apply (Code 1-3)?

Many Thanks.
Does this sound like a student asking for help ?

After many helpful posts he decides to tell us this..........

It is for my exam. I did it today and there is tomorrow. but I cant understand if there is no reading for N-N does that mean that the ring is discontinues and therefore code 2 is used? Or is it incorrect polarity?

In response to your other comments see below..

I do think there is a real possibility that some of the young kids are going to think more than twice about looking for help on this site if we are not careful.
Does it really matter whether the question is a job specific question or to do with college? YES I can easily understand why they are not up front occasionally if they are going to have to face some of the responses evident in this thread.Well who's fault is that then ? IF he had been upfront and said he was having difficult getting his head around things he would have got the appropriate response ?
Yes the question was obvious, but that is indicative of a young student struggling.He didn't say he was a Student if he had he would have received 'Student' advice Surely if he finds the answer to his question (easily) here, coupled with a good explanation to it,how can that be a bad thing? It's not but show a little respect for people that are providing this easy option
I really think we should be accessible to these kids and answer politely all questions, stupid or sensible. As regards 'attitude' we should lead by example.
Any response is tailored to the OP, if your not honest and give the impression you are working on installations without the faintest idea what you are doing of, you will get what you deserve, usually chastisement in one form or the other

ATB J

Jimmy boy, yes this op did not immediately state the question was for college, but he may have had his reasons, possibly thought he might be given a hard time, I don't know. But that is not the point I was making. This is an open forum where many individuals from all areas of the industry meet to exchange information. We all have the choice of answering the question or not. Neither you or I know this individual or his personnel circumstances, and quite right. All we have to do is ignore him if that is what we think.
My main point was, looking over the thread, other students may become more reticent about posting. My own opinion, which you obviously disagree with, is that a more positive attitude will be far more beneficial in the long run. So if you don't like the attitude of an op, ignore him, vice versa if someone wants to respond then that's fine too.
consequently there were many positive responses from others to this op.
I am mystified that the comments I made have caused such anger as that was not my intention.
Lets agree to disagree shall we?

Reply to Question regarding neutral for Ring final Circuit. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock