Discuss Questionable ads again in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Seeing a lot of ads for Motex, another fake electricity-bill-saver. I had four on one page just now, including pics of dangerous foreign electrical demos with bare live connections, I think these were from India or Pakistan. So two unrelated kinds of electrical bad practice being displayed prominently amongst our posts. I imagine it is hard to screen these ads up-front, maybe impossible. But any ad claiming to save on electricity bills with a plug-in device is probably making false claims.

I know @Dan posted a few days ago that he was changing the ad system over and that there might be some spam for a day or so? It's just a shame though that said spam is so near the knuckle.

I got this big yellow box explaining a little of what’s going on….
Questionable ads again 78C965B5-EF43-4B12-A79A-96C862D08785 - EletriciansForums.net

Seeing a lot of ads for Motex, another fake electricity-bill-saver. I had four on one page just now, including pics of dangerous foreign electrical demos with bare live connections, I think these were from India or Pakistan. So two unrelated kinds of electrical bad practice being displayed prominently amongst our posts. I imagine it is hard to screen these ads up-front, maybe impossible. But any ad claiming to save on electricity bills with a plug-in device is probably making false claims.
Finally an ad' which actually can save you money:

Questionable ads again saveelectric - EletriciansForums.net

Although I am not sure that you can cut electricity bills "by not plugging stuff in" would be that much of a surprise to most people!!!

I am also not sure the idea is that "New"

Just saw a Motex one today. Not only are the claims bogus, but the ad image basically looked like it was suggesting sticking your fingers into exposed connectors. I guess that's one way to stop worrying about electricity bills 😬

Was getting a whole string of Motex ads yesterday, while viewing threads on my 'phone, all illustrating various ways of killing yourself with electricity. The one referred to above, one showing a clout nail about to be pushed into a socket, and several showing wiring powering a lamp via various breakers and switches, all with many fully exposed live terminals.

Sorry for the necro. I've got the So we've pulled Google ads back into our control and are reinstalling them. box today and wondered what was going on.

I admit I use an adblocker to browse the internet BUT it's not because I'm mean and don't want sites to earn money from ads, it's because most of the ads are... rancid, I mostly get ads from my country and they're absolutely cringeworthy flashing rectangles and now videos that make browsing a website even painfully slow than usual given I only have a speed of 1Mbps. But, I also get ads related to the forum, I don't mind those at all, I've got some for "solar wiring", mastertrade, wiring terminals, tools and stuff that make sense.

Does ads being in control of the forum mean the rancid flashing/video ads will be gone at some point or is there no other way to remove them than by re-enabling the adblocker? I've been clicking on the X then "I'm not interested in this ad" in spite they won't show up again but since they're IP targeted they keep coming up.

Do the google "adchoices" adverts listen to you?

We're going on a cruise in the summer, and likely searched for that before booking... I get adverts for cruises on the forum (and other sites where Adchoices are present)
I put that down to actually searching for it...

My eldest was down at the weekend, and she studies Linguistics and is learning Mandarin. Although we were talking about here course, none of us had typed into any search engine....

And i suddenly start getting adverts here for GCHQ jobs wanting staff for linguistics, and particularly Mandarin!

My girl. Working for MI6 ???? She cant keep a bloody secret if she tried!

Do the google "adchoices" adverts listen to you?

We're going on a cruise in the summer, and likely searched for that before booking... I get adverts for cruises on the forum (and other sites where Adchoices are present)
I put that down to actually searching for it...

My eldest was down at the weekend, and she studies Linguistics and is learning Mandarin. Although we were talking about here course, none of us had typed into any search engine....

And i suddenly start getting adverts here for GCHQ jobs wanting staff for linguistics, and particularly Mandarin!

My girl. Working for MI6 ???? She cant keep a bloody secret if she tried!
I'm convinced they do. A bunch of us even tried to prove it, with success, by quietly agreeing to all talk loudly about something really random around our phones, within about six hours the targeted ads for that subject started to appear.

I'm convinced they do. A bunch of us even tried to prove it, with success, by quietly agreeing to all talk loudly about something really random around our phones, within about six hours the targeted ads for that subject started to appear.

I know people with Apple phones that have seen this several times. And with quite unusual things, so unlikely to be coincidence.

Also, a few years ago, one brand of smart TVs was always listening. I think they got fined for it as it should only have done it when voice recognition was selected by the user.

old thread, but I'm getting loads of google ads. I report them, but the same ones come up within a few hours. even though google say they'll try not to show the ads again. tried total adblock and it's useless. waste of £14.95/month. will cancel today.

I get a drop down ad at the top, which is annoying as it covers the site menu. Today, that one is for contact lenses… which is understandable as the wife uses them.

Car ads, holiday ads…. All recent searches for us. Training courses for electricians… and this is an adchoices random ad, not a forum sponsor.
I think it’s an amalgamation of the forum subject itself and courses that my daughters are searching for.

Some days the pages are absolutely swamped with ads for Temu… which I believe is a cheap selling platform for low quality tatt like Aliexpress
And now I’ve mentioned them, they’ll all come back!

i just put a stop on temu tat ads. it's a US company. lo and behold 5 mins later comes up a temu ad.

Reply to Questionable ads again in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock