Discuss Questions and advice for AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i have my AM2 coming up and just wanted some advice and pointers to help me get through it.
what are the drawings like? are they simple or take abit to get your head around?
also whats the specification like?
Any simple things people mess up on?

Hi everyone,
i have my AM2 coming up and just wanted some advice and pointers to help me get through it.
what are the drawings like? are they simple or take abit to get your head around?
also whats the specification like?
Any simple things people mess up on?
You get a step by step guide, just read the booklet they give you. All the drawings are straight forward to follow. Check cable types and sizes, it is all listed in the booklet but most of it is in singles, from memory light switches is the only circuit wired in t&e. Make sure you keep power and data separate, they provide you with a bridge piece.

Fault finding can be done mainly with a bell tester, no need for an MFT. You could get a fault on the data cabling, they give you the tester for this which is straight forward to use.

Does your AM2 centre offer a refresher day? If they do I would go on it, definitely worth it.

Also there are quite a few you tube videos on what to expect from the AM2. XS training do some good videos and so do GSH Electrical

All the best

Pete

Thanks for your reply ill keep that in mind.
Really stupid question but its always the simple things that trip you, in the am2 you wire a SWA cable to isolator then out of the isolator into the commando sockets, i bought the XS training video and he sleeves the singles at the Isolator end brown/black/grey but at commando socket leaves them unsleeved would you suggest matching the sleeving at other end? sounds like a stupid question but i dont want to fail on sleeving :)

also would it be acceptable to IR the test from the main switch obvously apart from lighting motor and ring on rcbo.
Thank you.......

they also dont expect much in terms of the risk assesment? have you recently done the AM2? what risks could i be facing in the bay, i havent done a risk assesment in a while and just panicing over failing over the small things.

they also dont expect much in terms of the risk assesment? have you recently done the AM2? what risks could i be facing in the bay, i havent done a risk assesment in a while and just panicing over failing over the small things.
In the test centre I did mine at they had a RISK Assessment folder on the wall you could look at

Thanks for your reply ill keep that in mind.
Really stupid question but its always the simple things that trip you, in the am2 you wire a SWA cable to isolator then out of the isolator into the commando sockets, i bought the XS training video and he sleeves the singles at the Isolator end brown/black/grey but at commando socket leaves them unsleeved would you suggest matching the sleeving at other end? sounds like a stupid question but i dont want to fail on sleeving :)

also would it be acceptable to IR the test from the main switch obvously apart from lighting motor and ring on rcbo.
Thank you.......
If you have correct size and colour cables then no need to sleeve, if you have the right size but ie. only brown cables then sleeve them respectively brown/black/grey at each end.

Yes, just make sure you disconnect all ring cables and put them together in connector blocks. That’s how you can test for IR on a ring. Then you can do a global test on a whole board (live-live and live-earth) and remember to operate light switches. Disconnect all loads! Detector, light, spur with neon off etc. At the end test load side of the motor circuit between all phases and each phase to earth.

Reply to Questions and advice for AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net