Discuss Questions asked on your testing assessment in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
whether your with niceic, napit, elesca etc, please state what questions u can remeber which you had on ur assessment for testing and inspection, include which scheme you was assessed by?......

whether your with niceic, napit, elesca etc, please state what questions u can remeber which you had on ur assessment for testing and inspection, include which scheme you was assessed by?......
1)Did you test the installation. 2)How do you do r1+r2 test,3)how do you test a ring main continuity 3)what should the expected values be 4)how do you perform insulation resistance test 5)what are the minimum values acceptable 6)how do you check polarity/why do you haxe to check polarity 7)how do you test ELI 8)BLAH BLAH RCD each time i explained a test to him he came back with "now you have explained how to do the test can you perform it explaining why results are acceptable" 9)can i pinch one of your smokes, hope thats mature enough for you luke its all i can remember but the guy was ok,give me some good advice. he did ask me one more question now i come to think of it "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THSE CROCK CLIPS ON MY TESTACLES":eek: SORRY:rolleyes: NICEIC

Assessed by NICEIC:

1, Explain the TT earthing system
2, What is the max Ze of TNC-s & TN-s (0.35ohm & 0.8ohm)
3, What is the max time for a BS EN61008 at x1
4, What is the max trip time allowed for an rcd trip under x5 test
5, Why are rcd's required on TT systems (on 16th assessment).
6, What is the max rated ocpd for a 2.5mm radial circuit & what could it be if the conductors were 4mm.
7, where is the max Zs for a BS60898 32amp type B found in 7671 (show the bloke).
8, Explain how you would undertake the ring final continuity test.
9, What csa of MEC would be used on TNC-s system.
10, Which result would you use on cert after undertaking PSCC & PFC.
11, Why are the max Zs values different in the osg & 7671.

Thats a few I've been asked that I can remember.

Forgot one

12, Do you use croc clips :D

Last edited by a moderator:
1, Explain the TT earthing system, overhead line & neatral supply with no earth provided, earthing is generally gained by using earth rod(s), 100ma time delay main sw? 30ma sockets etc. in event of a fault the current flows to earth through the rod through the general mass of earth back to the transformer winding centre tap thing?!

3, What is the max time for a BS EN61008 at x1 300ms?
What is the max trip time allowed for an rcd trip under x5 test 40ms?

5, Why are rcd's required on TT systems cos of normally high Zs readings

6, What is the max rated ocpd for a 2.5mm radial circuit & what could it be if the conductors were 4mm

20a and 32a

7, where is the max Zs for a BS60898 32amp type B found in 7671 page 49

8, Explain how you would undertake the ring final continuity test.

low ohm meter test L1 to L2, then N1 N2 then E1 to E2 L and N should be about the same, E should be (on 2.5 t&e) 1.67 times greater
link L1 N2 and L2 to N1 and go round every socket reading should be the same, if higher could be a spur if lot lower could be a cross connect?
link L1 to E2 and L2 to E1 (R1 + R2) again go round every socket, recording highest reading?

9, What csa of MEC would be used on TNC-s system

16mm unsure on this half size of line?

10, Which result would you use on cert after undertaking PSCC & PFC.

the highest

11, Why are the max Zs values different in the osg & 7671.

cos they typed it wrong? dont know this one either!

Isn't it because the regs book has the maximum Zs vaule permitted, and the OSG has the "Rule of thumb" values - IE 75% of maximum?

Had me thinking too!

Correct
& if the assessor asks why are they corrected to 75% in the osg, it's to account for the temperature of the conductors when under test/use as opposed to the osg being a cold (for want of a better word) value.

R1 + R2 on say a loop in celing rose circuit, link between cpc and line at consumer then go to end of circuit and test there on low ohm scale?

polarity, go to every socket, switch ceiling rose and test line to earth, when energized

anyone on who can say if this is right! been thinking in me sleep aswell!

rich

polarity, go to every socket, switch ceiling rose and test line to earth, when energized

No No No
Polarity is prooved as a dead test.
On sockets it's prooved during the Ring cont test
On lighting it's prooved while undertaking the R1+R2 method of continuity.

R1 + R2 on say a loop in celing rose circuit, link between cpc and line at consumer then go to end of circuit and test there on low ohm scale?

Yes (make sure you isolate the whole cu)

3, What is the max time for a BS EN61008 at x1

Watch out for the wording on this question. He could ask what the max time for a BS 61008 at x1 is.

Last edited by a moderator:
No No No
Polarity is prooved as a dead test.
On sockets it's prooved during the Ring cont test
On lighting it's prooved while undertaking the R1+R2 method of continuity.

Yes (make sure you isolate the whole cu)

Watch out for the wording on this question. He could ask what the max time for a BS 61008 at x1 is.

He's good isn't he? :D

sorry bout the above questions i was just reading a book and im sure it said what it said! lol

niceic, wanted to see all proper books etc, liability and knowledge of buidling regs is important.

on testing and inspection:

1) asked if i did the work
2) remove cover and proove safe isolation etc, proove main switch isolated.
3) insulation test on cooker circuit between line and cpc at 500v, asked what voltage
what min reading etc
4) perform Ze test and what max reading is for TT, TN-s, TNCS
5) perform PSCC at consumer earth bar with main earth connected. explain which
reading you give and why this test is important (prooving Short circuit capacity is
lower than OCPD's limits)
6) End of ring test on ring main line
6) Then on Minor Job, test Zs and RCD times and explain what readings to expect
at certain ratings (1/2, 1 and 5)(o and 180) also asked if the Zs was ok and what
the maz Zs is for OCPD
7) all results were compared with test sheets
8) explain how to Do R1 + R2 on a ring final circuit and on a radial and that it also
confirms polarity (partially)

cant think of owt else

rich

These were asked on my elecsa assesment 08/08/2008

1 How do you tell it's a TNC-S system?
2 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNC-S system?
3 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNS system?
4 Explain how to test a ring circuit and what results you should expect to get?
5 Where are the safe zones?
6 What depth (%) vertically can you chase a wall?
7 what depth (%) horizontally can you chase a wall?
8 What size hole (%) can you drill a floor joist and how far from top and bottam must it be?
9 On a new build what % of the lighting should be low energy?
10 What is the height requirements on a new build for switches and sockets?

These were asked on my elecsa assesment 08/08/2008

1 How do you tell it's a TNC-S system?
2 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNC-S system?
3 What's the max Ze permitted for a TNS system?
4 Explain how to test a ring circuit and what results you should expect to get?
5 Where are the safe zones?
6 What depth (%) vertically can you chase a wall?
7 what depth (%) horizontally can you chase a wall?
8 What size hole (%) can you drill a floor joist and how far from top and bottam must it be?
9 On a new build what % of the lighting should be low energy?
10 What is the height requirements on a new build for switches and sockets?

Got my Elecsa Friday (19th sept), it would be greeat if he asked me these questions....Fingers crossed

theyll also want to know how many coffee flavour revels you can get behind your foreskin! i only managed 4 before getting excited then it just hurt!

you'll be fine, relax and take a deep breath. would recommend a good nights sleep before aswell

Reply to Questions asked on your testing assessment in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock