Discuss questions re domestic eicr testing please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newg

Hi, I've just bought a new house in need of some upgrading. I was thinking of getting one of these done so that if any electrical work was required that could be done first.

I'm in Glasgow and have seen various prices mentioned for this. What would be a fair price for this to be done on a 2 bedroom semi detached house?

I also wondered, I'd any changes are suggested, does it become a legal obligation to carry the work out?

And final question - is it safe to assume that someone carrying out eicr would give an honest report and not yet and use or as an opportunity to crest unneeded work for themselves? Sorry I'd that question seems disrespectful or isn't intended to be. But the are people to watch out for in most lines of work (mine included)!

I'd anyone had a moment to answer these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

Hi, I've just bought a new house in need of some upgrading. I was thinking of getting one of these done so that if any electrical work was required that could be done first.

I'm in Glasgow and have seen various prices mentioned for this. What would be a fair price for this to be done on a 2 bedroom semi detached house? between ÂŁ130 and ÂŁ200 is a fair estimate

I also wondered, I'd any changes are suggested, does it become a legal obligation to carry the work out? no. it's up to you to consider what has been found and whether or not you act on it.

And final question - is it safe to assume that someone carrying out eicr would give an honest report and not yet and use or as an opportunity to crest unneeded work for themselves? Sorry I'd that question seems disrespectful or isn't intended to be. But the are people to watch out for in most lines of work (mine included)! some of the younger generation, esp. those who have done fast track training go OTT. e'g' if you have a perfectly good CU installed to previous regs. they might condemn it. even if it's perfectly safe for continued use.

I'd anyone had a moment to answer these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

comments in red. be a good idea to phone a couple of local sparks. have a good chat first. there's a few members in your area may be able to do you an honest EICR.

Very much along the lines of what the man above says .......

Just beware there are "drive-by reports" being completed out there for ÂŁ50 or less and done in a couple of hrs. They dont really tell you much worth knowing. You pays your money and takes your choice of report ......

Whilst there are unscroupolous electricians out there who will do a very cheap EICR to get their foot in the door and then find/generate faults which they hope to get follow-on work for to re-coup their money, I would like to think that if you had someone from this forum complete the inspection for you then it would be a fair days work for a fair days pay with no shenanigans!

Oops, just realised your up in Glasgow. Anything north of the Liverpool/Manchester corridor be careful your 'electrician' actually knows what he's doing ....... :biggrin:

that's not a corridor mate, its a canal.

Telectrix and Badged, thank you for your replies. I will get onto some quotes.

'Oops, just realised your up in Glasgow. Anything north of the Liverpool/Manchester corridor be careful your 'electrician' actually knows what he's doing .......'

I will take that in the humour in which it was intended!

Before I start calling around, I would invite offers for a quote from the forum, for anyone who's interested. I have received one PM but am waiting for a post here in the forum. I am in Glasgow.

I have posted this in the wrong forum I believe - could a mod move it to the correct location?

Sorry about that.

Reply to questions re domestic eicr testing please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net