Discuss questions re domestic eicr testing please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

newg

Hi,

please note this is a copy of another thread I made in the wrong forum (mods notified).

Hi, I've just bought a new house in need of some upgrading. I was thinking of getting one of these done so that if any electrical work was required that could be done first.

I'm in Glasgow and have seen various prices mentioned for this. What would be a fair price for this to be done on a 2 bedroom semi detached house?

I also wondered, if any changes are suggested, does it become a legal obligation to carry the work out?

And final question - is it safe to assume that someone carrying out eicr would give an honest report and not use it as an opportunity to create unneeded work for themselves? Sorry if that question seems disrespectful it isn't intended to be. But the are people to watch out for in most lines of work (mine included)!

If anyone had a moment to answer these questions I'd really appreciate it. Of if anyone in the area who is qualified wants to post here, we can talk about perhaps quoting for the work.

Thank you

I'm not sure why you've duplicated this question mate.
It's always a good idea to get an EICR done when buying or selling. If you're buying you want to know what you're getting into and if selling you want to show people that your place is in good nick.
Don't know about Glasgow but for me to do this on Tyneside you're looking at at least £150, now you'll be alble to get it done for a lot less but with me you're going to get me there for the best part of a day digging into pretty much everything I can see. At the end of that you're going to get a totally factual report of what I've seen and tested referenced to the regulations or put in laymans terms so that you can understand what the problems are.
You're not under any legal obligation to get the remedial works carried out but if you chose not to and someone was hurt then you would find yourself held responsible by a court. Imo that's why this trade falls down, gas fitters can turn up, cap off and f off if they find something dangerous. We can't.
No, it is not safe to assume that you're going to get an honest report and not an opportunity to create work for themselves. I could come into your home tomorrow and convince you it was going to burn down and kill your family if I wanted to but I prefer to be able to sleep at night, that's why I do it honestly and professionally. You should really be looking for someone from recommendations from mates/family and if you can't get that for yourself you should ask the prospective contractor to provide you with references.
We have a few members in your area, hopefully one of them will see this.

Firstly you would expect to pay between £175-£250 for the test. It all depends on how accessible and practicle it is to complete the EICR on the property..i.e furniture blocking points, access to rooms etc.
The EICR is not and should never be used as a tool to get work. The purpose of the EICR is to give an accurate indication taking agreed limitations into consideration the condition and safety of an Electrical installation. You are not obligated to have any remedial works completed post completion of an EICR, however, you being the person requesting the EICR would take responsibility for anything arising from a condition that was highlighted as needing attention which you chose to ignore or knew was electrically unsafe. Any C1 departures would be made safe during the report where possible but ultimately you and you only can decide if you are prepared to resolve any issues highlighted by the report.

Oh my god how expensive are you lot!!! in the north west we cant get away with more than £110.00.
Maybe it is time you realised what a qualified electrician is really worth!
And yes it is carried out to a high standard!!
No offence intended but I cant see how they can be, IMO you would need to do 2 a day at that price to make it worth while being self employed.
For a normal 2-3 bed I would want 5-6 hours to carry out a worthwhile test and a further 1-2 hours to type out a Eicr report on the laptop
Total 8hrs + travel, I can't see that happening for £110.00

It is only a 2 bed tho, would have to be some issues for it to take 5 hours (Its always a ceiling fan or an aerial booster in the loft giving you crap readings lol)

In this case its not what you pay for you get, its the normal rate around here, it does take me 4-5 hours, after all its not initial verification, we are there to ascertain if the electrical system is safe for continued use, i used to work for a compliance company testing 40 circuits a day.

Test all accessible points within the circuits we dont start dragging beds and wardrobes around the place to access a socket!! , no high level testing eg outside lighting. ir 10% of the circuit and carry on testing the others if the first 10% are Below 2.0 meg ohms, R2 on all accessable points. Very intrusive inspection process with all accessible points, ring continuity on ring final circuits, plus all the usual test ze,pfc rcd tests bonding continuity etc etc.

We was writing the regulation numbers with our observations way before the eicr was introduced so no one could come back to us and say this observation isn't a departure of the regs bla bla bla, plus we take pictures all the our observations with a write up of what the customer is looking at.

So for £110.00 not worth the money but thats the going rate around here, half of the sparks issue a 6 page report mine are 12 pages at least on a 10 way db, using amtech software.

So for the price its **** work but id rather have 110 than nothing!!

In this case its not what you pay for you get, its the normal rate around here, it does take me 4-5 hours, after all its not initial verification, we are there to ascertain if the electrical system is safe for continued use, i used to work for a compliance company testing 40 circuits a day.

Test all accessible points within the circuits we dont start dragging beds and wardrobes around the place to access a socket!! , no high level testing eg outside lighting. ir 10% of the circuit and carry on testing the others if the first 10% are Below 2.0 meg ohms, R2 on all accessable points. Very intrusive inspection process with all accessible points, ring continuity on ring final circuits, plus all the usual test ze,pfc rcd tests bonding continuity etc etc.

We was writing the regulation numbers with our observations way before the eicr was introduced so no one could come back to us and say this observation isn't a departure of the regs bla bla bla, plus we take pictures all the our observations with a write up of what the customer is looking at.

So for £110.00 not worth the money but thats the going rate around here, half of the sparks issue a 6 page report mine are 12 pages at least on a 10 way db, using amtech software.

So for the price its **** work but id rather have 110 than nothing!!

If that is out you are prepared to work then fair play to you, I just would not be willing drop to that price, bloody plasterer's get more than that.
@ sparky joe, I like to have a good rummage round to make sure I haven't missed anything. A bit like when I'm going through our lasses handbag.

My point exactly, they always go or the cheapest, there are so many unregistered sparks out there doing it so cheap its an insult, councl are not interested in stopping there substandard work.

Im loosing so much money because mr/mrs im not registered, or competant to wire a plug can do it for so much less. More awareness needs to be made about these imcompetant people. (yes that means you mr kitchen fitter!!!)

No matter what price agreed with me i just cant leave the job unless im 100% happy, safety comes first.

When I advertised I quoted a call out for £30 but the people lived in my road I could have walked there . The usually reply just want to discuss it with my husband/wife ,which means they are going to phone around and never got back to me ; some one undercut me ! ! How I will never know

Maybe it is time you realised what a qualified electrician is really worth!

No offence intended but I cant see how they can be, IMO you would need to do 2 a day at that price to make it worth while being self employed.
For a normal 2-3 bed I would want 5-6 hours to carry out a worthwhile test and a further 1-2 hours to type out a Eicr report on the laptop
Total 8hrs + travel, I can't see that happening for £110.00

Well considering that for a test most firms will charge anywhere between £70 - £100 per circuit, my local council charges £125 for the 1st cct and £80 for any additional ccts. Not only are you testing every circuit but as you rightly pointed out you have to carry out a thorough inspection. You are signing the installation as safe, you'd better be sure it is. Most eicr's are requested
from mortgage companies or landlords of rented accom.

Then it's people like you who are not only making a rod for your own back but the backs of every other decent spark too!

You should be stood against a wall and shot ! :73:
Ok then on your command:73::73::73::73::73::73::73::73::73:

There comes a point when it's not worth working for the amount of cash you can generate from it. I think I'm cheap but there's a lot of 5WWs round our way so I often tell people that I won't compete on price. I'll tell them what they're going to get for the money and what they'll most likely get from the lowballers then let them make the choice.
You'd be surprised at how many will take your price.

Reply to questions re domestic eicr testing please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net