• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Questions regarding metal gang boxes in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi everyone!
I am an industrial designer working from Israel, currently working on a product that will be installed in american homes and needs to fit into a one-gang box.

I'm having trouble figuring out how common are the metal boxes out of all the home-installed electricity box,
(professional installation, not DIY), maybe someone can give an (obviously rough) estimate?
30%/40%/50% of the boxes are metal?
1570463371247.png
Also, i found that there is a (very) wide variety in gangbox models, could someone point out which is the most common?
1570462872870.png

Many many thanks!
Or Lev

Aico 3000 Range

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
think you'll need to wait till some of our american members come online. those boxes are notanythinglike we have this side of the pond.

Taylortwocities

-
Arms
Esteemed
@NekudaDM you may be better off posting this in the American Forum

Or report this thread and ask for it to be moved.

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Hi everyone!
I am an industrial designer working from Israel, currently working on a product that will be installed in american homes and needs to fit into a one-gang box.

I'm having trouble figuring out how common are the metal boxes out of all the home-installed electricity box,
(professional installation, not DIY), maybe someone can give an (obviously rough) estimate?
30%/40%/50% of the boxes are metal?
View attachment 52923
Also, i found that there is a (very) wide variety in gangbox models, could someone point out which is the most common?
View attachment 52922

Many many thanks!
Or Lev
@nekduaDM since they will be installed in existing homes I would just go with the plastic boxes, you don’t have to ground plastic. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@nekduaDM since they will be installed in existing homes I would just go with the plastic boxes, you don’t have to ground plastic. Good luck
@Megawatt the product I'm designing will have to fit into exisiting boxes, so what I'm trying to find out is which boxes are more common

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
@Megawatt the product I'm designing will have to fit into exisiting boxes, so what I'm trying to find out is which boxes are more common
Nekdia in the USA and I’m not speaking for other countries but the blue plastic box is used in homes that is built with wood studs the TP122 is used mostly in commercial installations where there is metal studs. If I were you I would design it for the blue plastic boxes.

Reply to Questions regarding metal gang boxes in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom