Discuss questiosn from a newbie - outdoor pond pump & fused spurs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The General

morning all.
I'm planning a job for a client which (amongst other things) includes installing a pondpump.
I've just seen the pump they've bought, and it's designed to be wired directly off a fused spur.
That's fine, but as there's also going to be power to some outdoor sockets for some other bits, my intention had been to fit a 3-pin plug (with the same rated fuse as the spur would have been) and simply plug it into the external socket.

as it specifically says in the pump instructions that it's designed to be wired in, am i doing anything wrong by fitting a plug instead?

part 2 to that question is that if I do wire it off a fused-spur permanently, how do I get continuity,R1+R2 and IR readings as it's a sealed unit at the pump!?!
obviously I can get readings up as far as the spur, but there's another 10m of cable up to the pump...?

am i just making life difficult for myself?!

as an aside - if is plugged into an external socket with 3-pin plug it stops being notifiable under part P doesn't it?

final question - is it allowable to have a fused spur coming off a fused spur?
client wanted 2 double sockets in the garage, which was going to be a fused spur.
now that I've got to put the pump on a fused spur, the spur will be coming off from one of the new sockets i was fitting in the garage!
is that okay?

sorry to ask lots of daft questions, but let's just say that the training course I was on left a lot of gaps.......
thanks in advance for your help!

some would say follow manufactures instructions, but i cant see a problem in wiring a plug onto it and you have an ip44 minimum socket outlet to plug into at the right ditance form pond. once you have a fused connection you can have as many spurs as you want off it. i would say this all requires rcd protection but il stand to be corrected as usual ...

some would say follow manufactures instructions, but i cant see a problem in wiring a plug onto it and you have an ip44 minimum socket outlet to plug into at the right ditance form pond. once you have a fused connection you can have as many spurs as you want off it. i would say this all requires rcd protection but il stand to be corrected as usual ...
many thanks - my thoughts exactly. and 'yes' to the RCD question!

also, you only have to test wiring up to the socket/FCU for the pond pump. the pump lead/flex is separate from the fixed wiring, and if necessary, the pump can be PAT tested.

also, you only have to test wiring up to the socket/FCU for the pond pump. the pump lead/flex is separate from the fixed wiring, and if necessary, the pump can be PAT tested.

Ace - good point - thanks.

Am i right about it being non-notifiable then where it's just a 3pin plug?
Would it still need a minor works certificate as it's not a fixed installation?

Good question and it will depend

If the pump is going to be a fixed appliance ie piped in then yes technically it would be classed as a fixed installation, and even if it is flex and being fed from a socket it should still be notifiable.

If it is a portable appliance and not piped in then technically you could class it the same as a lawn mower or any appliance that is used outdoor and not need to notify it

It will really depend on your interpretation of the install.

As for the MIEWC then as above. If fixed then yes I would supply one, if not fixed then no.

Again though the work bringing the socket out into the garden is notifiable whichever way you look at the pump.

Good question and it will depend

If the pump is going to be a fixed appliance ie piped in then yes technically it would be classed as a fixed installation, and even if it is flex and being fed from a socket it should still be notifiable.

If it is a portable appliance and not piped in then technically you could class it the same as a lawn mower or any appliance that is used outdoor and not need to notify it

It will really depend on your interpretation of the install.

As for the MIEWC then as above. If fixed then yes I would supply one, if not fixed then no.

Again though the work bringing the socket out into the garden is notifiable whichever way you look at the pump.

good answer - thanks Malcolm!

yes, permanently fitted pump, so I'll do a minor works for both that and the outdoor power!
cheers for your help.

Reply to questiosn from a newbie - outdoor pond pump & fused spurs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net