Discuss Quick bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Von Vardo

Went to a job today where the boiler is in an outhouse. The only metallic incoming service is oil from a tank outside.
Can I install a dedicated earth spike for the outhouse and bond the oil to that or do I need to bond it back to the MET in the house?

I'd be grateful for any advice on this.

Ed

i would say that if the oil pipe is introducing an earth potential into the house then it needs bonding to the MET.

I'm with Tel on this one, bond the incoming pipe to the MET. Assuming that there is no supply from the house to the outbuilding, for example feeding a pump (assuming this is gravity fed to the house).

Outhouse only contains the boiler and a light (it's more like a shed!) - my thinking is to install a 2 way CU fed by SWA from the house, isolate SWA CPC and install a spike for the bonding and the circuits in the outhouse. Can you see any problem with that?

i'd prefer to export the earth!!! (going to bed now)

No that would be fine, obviously you will need RCD protection.
If you install a larger CU, then you would allow for the installation of a socket-outlet, either now or at a later date.

Why would you TT this outbuilding/shed?? Is it a PME supply to the main house??

Whether it's PME or not, you will still have to bond the service oil pipe as it enters the main house, if it is introducing an earth potential into the house.

Why would you TT this outbuilding/shed?? Is it a PME supply to the main house??

Whether it's PME or not, you will still have to bond the service oil pipe as it enters the main house, if it is introducing an earth potential into the house.
Because installing a 10mm² bonding conductor from the shed to the house may be more expensive than installing a rod.
Does the oil service pipe enter the house, at the moment it appears to only go to the shed.

ah, you've only just mentioned that the pipework from the boiler to the house is plastic! i was thinking it was metal. in that case your original scenario is OK.

Reply to Quick bonding question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net