Discuss quick info on car charging port in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wiring up a series of offices in an converted factory unit, all well and good.
They have asked us to install a car charging port for one of the managers cars, we have never fitted one and have no interest in getting in to fitting them, but we need to do this as a one off.
TNCS, will be approx 5m from the DB.
Any extra point to consider when fitting one of these?
Rolec EV Economy Boost 16A / Type 1 + Boost Button WallPod, EVEB0010 - https://www.yesss.co.uk/heating-ventilation-c5/ev-charging-c1694/charge-points-c1695/rolec-ev-economy-boost-16a-type-1-boost-button-wallpod-eveb0010-p23244

Wiring up a series of offices in an converted factory unit, all well and good.
They have asked us to install a car charging port for one of the managers cars, we have never fitted one and have no interest in getting in to fitting them, but we need to do this as a one off.
TNCS, will be approx 5m from the DB.
Any extra point to consider when fitting one of these?
Rolec EV Economy Boost 16A / Type 1 + Boost Button WallPod, EVEB0010 - https://www.yesss.co.uk/heating-ventilation-c5/ev-charging-c1694/charge-points-c1695/rolec-ev-economy-boost-16a-type-1-boost-button-wallpod-eveb0010-p23244
Get hold of a copy of the CoP for charging points should all be explained within.

treat it like a consumer unit, dont forget your rods... if its outside where joe public has access then order it with lock on, or fit secure isolator. they come with a rcbo or rcd depending on how old the unit is, you will need to ensure there is discrimination.
Usually i would feed them with a unprotected mcb then utilise the internal rcd/rcbo protection.
something else you need to mention is that he will be receiving a benefit in kind charging the car at work, so has to pay the correct tax on it... might pay to remind him...
personally the ev:box units are far superior for this sort of thing. there back office tech support is 2nd to none in the sector. also rolec are just rebadged chint!
forgot to add, if you arent too keen on installing one, tell him if he approaches OLEV they will give him a £300 voucher for use with a olev approved installer. which could save him a bit off the price. google OLEV workplace charging scheme.

Get hold of a copy of the CoP for charging points should all be explained within.
If I was intending to install them as a regular thing I would, but as a one off I thought I would ask the help of my fellow electricians.
Isn't that what this forum is for?

treat it like a consumer unit, dont forget your rods... if its outside where joe public has access then order it with lock on, or fit secure isolator. they come with a rcbo or rcd depending on how old the unit is, you will need to ensure there is discrimination.
Usually i would feed them with a unprotected mcb then utilise the internal rcd/rcbo protection.
something else you need to mention is that he will be receiving a benefit in kind charging the car at work, so has to pay the correct tax on it... might pay to remind him...
personally the ev:box units are far superior for this sort of thing. there back office tech support is 2nd to none in the sector. also rolec are just rebadged chint!
forgot to add, if you arent too keen on installing one, tell him if he approaches OLEV they will give him a £300 voucher for use with a olev approved installer. which could save him a bit off the price. google OLEV workplace charging scheme.

Thank you, very helpful - rodding will be a pain as its all car park out front

If I was intending to install them as a regular thing I would, but as a one off I thought I would ask the help of my fellow electricians.
Isn't that what this forum is for?
I am helping Doomed, I have never installed one, so my advice would be to read the CoP. Obviously not in this case.
file:///C:/Users/Pete/Desktop/Resources/ChargeNY-Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Station-Installers-Best-Practices.pdf

Last edited:
There's another current thread on a similar vein, posted there about this I found; no idea about ev charging, but noticed the no rod needed for PME?

Attachments

• EV POD.pdf
    305.6 KB · Views: 18
A charging point must have 30mA RCD protection, preferably type A RCD to detect DC faults as well, often in the unit itself.
Internal charging points in a garage etc. can use the TNS supply. Where the charging point is outside a building or the car is outside whilst it is being charged the practical difficulties in complying with the requirements for connection to a TNCS supply mean that it is generally only practical to provide a TT earthed charging point. The EV pod document above seems to state that it can be used with TNCS supplies but references a regulation that is not in BS7671 and does not disconnect the supply in the case of a fault which is what is specified as required in BS7671, though I would have said from the description that it would be a safe arrangement, perhaps a deviation from the regulations in a manner that is as safe as prescribed in BS7671?
A documented risk assessment should be provided if it is TT that demonstrates that there are no conductive parts of the TCNS installation simultaneously accessible to touch, I think, within 10m (really!) of the car and charging point. The charging point should also be labelled "TT System adopted for ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING EQUIPMENT circuit. Do NOT connect to the PME earth". Notify the DNO that the point has been installed, I seem to remember you need the MPAN number for the supply.
I may well be out of date now so ready to be corrected.

That’s type B, not type A.
My understanding, is that it is charging points for use by the general public which are required to be TT, not those intended for private use.
I think according to BS7671, but it may vary in the COP, type B is only prescribed if the DC residual current is known to be >6mA.
I can find no reference to private individuals being less prone to electric shock:), where does this information come from? I know that apparently private dwellings are apparently less prone to electric shock because of the (possibly soon to be removed) exclusion of PME restriction for a single dwelling.

To doomed, also read Section 722 and ensure the car charging point is a dedicated circuit.

@Midwest unless the manufacturer specifically says the charger can be installed on pme without a rod outside then one is needed. even tns needs a rod as trying to get the dno to guarantee there network as not being pme half way down the road is near impossible. you can get away with putting one in a garage where there is no extraneous parts, much likle exporting pme in general. but this will all change come 18th apparently.
I would suggest the OP @Doomed has a look at the EV box stuff, as its better than rolec and if its mounted on a wall then it can have the earth cable fed to the rod via conduit, same if on a pedestal in the car park, run sufficient swa and separate earth back to a suitable spot to sink the rods. As no matter how you install it, if its not on the wall of the building then you are running suitable cable to it, its not much more work to add a correctly sized separate earth cable back to a more convenient spot for the rods.

Reply to quick info on car charging port in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock