Discuss quick info on car charging port in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Type A and AC RCDs do not detect d.c. faults. In fact d.c. current is used to prevent them from tripping when using the ‘no trip’ function on MFTs.
6mA d.c. is the maximum current at which type A and AC RCDs will continue to operate.
Type B RCDs detect both A.C. and d.c. current.

The information regarding whether an earth electrode is required can be found in BS7671 section 722.

The 18th draft proposal changes to Sec 722 (curtesey IET issue 66) ;

Changes to Section 722
Section 722 (electric vehicle charging installations) provides requirements for the supplies to electric vehicles. There are a number of significant changes in Section 722 of the DPC:

Protection against electric shock
Regulation 722.411.4.1 concerning the use of protective multiple earthing (PME) supply has changed. The exception for a dwelling if none of (i), (ii), or (iii) is reasonably practicable has been deleted. This now means that PME cannot be used unless you meet (i), or (ii), or (iii) of 722.411.4.1. As a reminder of those regulations:

• Regulation 722.411.4.1(i) refers to a situation where a connecting point is supplied from a 3-phase installation used to supply loads other than charging points and where the load is sufficiently well balanced.
  • Regulation 722.411.4.1(ii) requires a very low resistance earth electrode to mitigate the effects of an open circuit PEN conductor fault on the supply.
  • Regulation 722.411.4.1(iii) refers to protection by a voltage operated device. An important change is that the regulation now makes the point that this device could be included within the charging equipment. It is worth noting that this device will also require an earth electrode.
So whatever POD (my upload) are suggesting, their device will need rodding (if you pardon my expletive)?

Reply to quick info on car charging port in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net