Discuss Quick intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mulberry

Hi all,

New member just saying hello, late starter (potentially) in your trade but looking to get some useful information from you guys.
I am a 39 year old, currently working in a training capacity delivering apprenticeships in signs, graphics and printing after spending a good while manufacturing the same. At the point of deciding whether to make the jump into another area of expertise with this being my first choice so any advice or information will be appreciated.
I will probably be looking for the best training route advice to be honest and recommended training providers.

Thanks in advance....

hi,theres plenty of previous posts on this subject,
how much do you want to spend how quickly do you want to learn how do you want to learn?

Welcome along. there are a few of us here who came into the trade as 'late starters' and if you browse previous posts you will see it is a subject which gets a lot of attention. Good luck whichever route you take and welcome to a challenging career where everyday is a school day.

Thanks for the response guys,

I would obviously like to look at all the options available for training and i am aware that there are expensive crash courses around but i am not sure which would be the best route until i research more.
I am hoping to read some views on what people have done in the past themselves and what they felt worked well or what they would have changed.

Thanks again, i look forward to picking your brains....

Hi and thanks for the response.

I have read a few threads where you have passed on information and advice and it obviously sounds as though you know what needs to be achieved.

I did have a quick look at your training webpage but i think the location being Wales would be a bit of a trek, me being in East Yorkshire.

Not entirely sure of the best route to take, an electrician friend feels that i would be better off trying to get practical experience, even if it was only 1 day a week or weekends with a sparky, and do the course on an evening so the theory makes more sense to the practical. I can see the benefits to this although how long i would have to take i am not sure. What would you suggest??

Thanks again, no doubt i will be asking questions that you and others can help with..

Hi and thanks for the response.

I have read a few threads where you have passed on information and advice and it obviously sounds as though you know what needs to be achieved.

I did have a quick look at your training webpage but i think the location being Wales would be a bit of a trek, me being in East Yorkshire.

Not entirely sure of the best route to take, an electrician friend feels that i would be better off trying to get practical experience, even if it was only 1 day a week or weekends with a sparky, and do the course on an evening so the theory makes more sense to the practical. I can see the benefits to this although how long i would have to take i am not sure. What would you suggest??

Thanks again, no doubt i will be asking questions that you and others can help with..

whichever route you go, you need to get out there bashing holes in walls and stripping cables

evening in colleges is long route, private providers are more expensive but quicker

the first question you should always ask yourself is "what do i want to do at the end of it?"

if its self employed (eventually) purely as a domestic installer, then private might be your best route

if you wanna go commerical /industrial as well, you would benefit from ther 2330

Thanks Shakey,

I can see the appeal of the quicker, private provider route but even though i see myself as a hands on person and a quick learner i feel the learning gained on site would be a huge plus and advantage.
Getting the quals initially is fine but then trying to jump into the real world might be a daunting task i would imagine, wouldn't want to look a complete t**t.

Is the 2330 the usual first steps through the traditional apprenticeship route?

I have seen quite a variation of quals that can be gained mentioned on here and on training provider sites. I want to make sure i understand the ins and outs for each one before i jump in. 2382-10, 2391, 2330, EAL, C & G etc.

Thanks again...

just check the posts, i think everything that can be said has been said

if you got something specific, fire away

either me or Access Training will answer it;)

dont dilly dally your not getting any younger as shakey says "you pays your money you takes your choice" or is it access that says that?;)

sorry shakey , royalty cheques in the post ,ill get the rspca to deliver it;),has the dog&wife calmed down yet?

they are getting there

I was accused of 'trying to be nice to her' today:eek:

bloody dogs - cant live with them, and you cant live with them:p

and the missus has still got a face like a slapped ar*e as well;)

Reply to Quick intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock