Discuss Quick motor wiring question, I hope! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sjm

I've just been to look at a job for a potential new customer.

He's just had a commercial kitchen extractor fan rewired/overhauled and would like me to wire it back in.
It would seem that the supply to the motor is single phase and the motor is three phase, ie live neutral and earth into junction box then 2 x 3 core out to motor.
He has marked the cables as they were before removal of the motor and the rewinders have marked the cables from the motor.
I have U, U2 and Z marked on the terminal block the cables appear to match but I have 1 cable from the motor that doesn't seem to be attached to any incoming cable.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

I've just been to look at a job for a potential new customer.

He's just had a commercial kitchen extractor fan rewired/overhauled and would like me to wire it back in.
It would seem that the supply to the motor is single phase and the motor is three phase, ie live neutral and earth into junction box then 2 x 3 core out to motor.
He has marked the cables as they were before removal of the motor and the rewinders have marked the cables from the motor.
I have U, U2 and Z marked on the terminal block the cables appear to match but I have 1 cable from the motor that doesn't seem to be attached to any incoming cable.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Is this not a single phase speed controlled fan?

Sounds like a single phase motor with capacitor U = line, U2. = N and z for the cap
to Line.

Many thanks guys for the quick replies.

So 1 of the four conductors to the fan will have no connection, is that correct?

OK new information after looking at the job properly.

4 x cables to the motor, 2 x red marked Z1 and Z2, 2 x black marked U1 and U2.
Live and neutral in from the controller.
The capacitor is external to the motor.
So I'm thinking live in linked to either Z1 or Z2 and live to the capacitor.
Return from the capacitor linked to either Z1 or Z2, the 1 not already used.
Neutral in linked to U1 and U2.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Hi Tony.
The capacitor is not connected to anything currently. It has 1 x conductor to it and 1 x conductor from it.
It's mounted externally to the motor. I'm thinking it goes in the line to the start winding Z1 or Z2.
I guess it possible that this capacitor is now redundant following the rewind of the motor, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks.

Sorry to keep posting on this subject but------.

Wired fan as instructed and it sucks air in not out.
Wired as follows.
Line in to U2 and out through the capacitor back to Z2.
Neutral in to U1 and Z1.
Tried swapping U1 for U2 and Z1 for Z2 same result it sucks.

Just to be sure, before I tell the customer to remove the motor+blade and install it the other way round, would wiring it differently make a difference?

Thanks.
Steve

Reply to Quick motor wiring question, I hope! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock