Discuss Quick PAT test question. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vaughant

Where I work are starting to play funny buggers regarding where we take our break and trying all sorts of silly ways to get us out of the area.
The latest method is to claim there are "several" un-pat tested items in the area.
Several relates to a brand new toaster and 6 month old cooler.
I'm pretty convinced it's managements responsibility to get these items tested but unlike all the other departments our manager thinks we should jog on the spot and do pressups in our break times because he's clearly a failed army Sargent major.He's told us on several occasions these items need to be binned because their not paying to pat test them.
Now I've vented that my questions are.
1.because the items are so new,do they still need testing?
2.is it the company's responsibility or our own to do this?
3.there is a member of staff that could do it through his own company,who would possibly consider it.Does the company need to accept his results or are they only obliged to acknowledge results from their own specified testers?

Thanks in advance.

the company have a duty of care to all it's staff, part of which is to ensure all electrical appliances are safe to use. PAT is 1 way of doing this. it's not your responsibility to test these items, it's the company's. your member of staff is fine to test them.

Answers to your questions in relation to where I work and from my PAT training Instructor:-

1. All items must be tested, regardless of age. A brand new item could be faulty from the factory.
2. It is the responsibility of our company to have the items tested, it is also stipulated in the companies liability insurance policy.
3. Our insurance policy states that all electrical work carried out on our sites must be done by a competent person with the necessary qualifications, i.e, must have recognised PAT cert if PAT testing, qualified sparks for fixed wire, etc.

Hope this helps

I donated a brand new heater to the local hospital and it had to de tested,failed as plug was wired incorrectly,I have also worked in places where you are not allowed to use any electrical item if not displaying an in date test label,however if your firm are playing silly beggars take a look what changes you can make eg if paid till 5 make sure your gear is packed away,cleaned up hands washed ready to go at 5,if lunch is 12-1 then stop at 12 even if it only takes 2 mins to finish what you,re doing leave it,they soon learn lets be honest most of us put the odd 10 or 20 minutes in occasionally and dont book ot they need to learn the term give and take.

Cheers guys,that's cleared it up now.

Phil d. It's mainly just one guy who's sadly our sort of next up in the chain of command and has a bee in his bonnet about us using the facilities they've already provided.
Problem with this is if we were all to use this it would take your 1/2hr to make a cup of tea!!!!
The guys just on a bit of a power trip and is small fry compared to where I used to work with managers standing 2" from your face screaming and spittling all over you cos you were 10mins late from break.Being 20stone and 6ft it didn't happen much to me but I've seen boys crying from the way they were treated.
It makes me wonder what an easy life he must have because if this is the only worry about then how great would that be!!

Cheers guys,that's cleared it up now.

Phil d. It's mainly just one guy who's sadly our sort of next up in the chain of command and has a bee in his bonnet about us using the facilities they've already provided.
Problem with this is if we were all to use this it would take your 1/2hr to make a cup of tea!!!!
The guys just on a bit of a power trip and is small fry compared to where I used to work with managers standing 2" from your face screaming and spittling all over you cos you were 10mins late from break.Being 20stone and 6ft it didn't happen much to me but I've seen boys crying from the way they were treated.
It makes me wonder what an easy life he must have because if this is the only worry about then how great would that be!!
well no wonder he,s on a power trip,probably peed of cause he couldnt be a traffic warden thats what most of em like that end up,mind you never get much ag myself,5 foot ten and ten stone of pure aggression,packed it in for a spell and went as a dog handler,the lads used to say if the burglar was really lucky my dog would get there before me lol.

I donated a brand new heater to the local hospital and it had to de tested,failed as plug was wired incorrectly,I have also worked in places where you are not allowed to use any electrical item if not displaying an in date test label,however if your firm are playing silly beggars take a look what changes you can make eg if paid till 5 make sure your gear is packed away,cleaned up hands washed ready to go at 5,if lunch is 12-1 then stop at 12 even if it only takes 2 mins to finish what you,re doing leave it,they soon learn lets be honest most of us put the odd 10 or 20 minutes in occasionally and dont book ot they need to learn the term give and take.

I worked for a company that encouraged working at home it was a shift job and some of the clowns were coming in after a week off with plans for their project turns out they spen the whole weekin the house doing it and pretending they put it together in the morning they returned I even had a couple of guys come in and say I have been off for a week whats going on and were squirming when I used to say well you have been reading your work emails at home so why the pretence any phil you are spot on give and take plus all work makes Jack a dull boy

Have the items been provided by the company or have they been bought and brought in by you ( The staff ) ?
Just thinking this is the argument they are making to be funny about it.
If they have supplied them then its their responsibility to make sure the items are tested and safe. If they are yours then they make ask you to remove them

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Quick PAT test question. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net