• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Quick question about 12v parking buzzers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dimsparks

Hi, just joined to get the definitive answer to this conundrum.

The parking speaker in my car is really quiet, so I bought a 12v DC buzzer from Maplin to replace it. The Maplin buzzer doesn't work when connected to the car, but works if powered direct fom the battery.
The voltage at the original speaker connector is 9.3v oddly, but the Maplins speaker is rated from 8v to 14v so should be OK?

I spoke to Maplins, they couldn't help, so do any of you chaps have the answer?

if the original speaker is a speaker and not a buzzer, thast's your problem. a buzzer works on circa 12V D.C. VOLTAGE, WHEREAS A SPEAKER WORKS ON AN AUDIO SIGNAL.

Good point, but the original one is just a flat piezo sounder, not really a speaker. It says 0.5W and 50(?) ohms on the back but I'm not an electrician so does that make it a speaker or a buzzer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit - just read you post correctly.

A buzzer is not a speaker. A buzzer 'buzzies'. A speaker converts signals into audible sounds.

Sounds like you need a bigger speaker and an amplifier. As I presume the speaker you have will be matched to the device you have installed.

Last edited:
It looks a bit like this, so I suppose it's a speaker not a buzzer.
Quick question about 12v parking buzzers {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/025w-mylar-and-paper-round-speaker-29mm-n93fu

Last edited by a moderator:
...so in order to make it louder, I need to match the ohm rating, but just look for higher wattage? If the ohm rating was lower would that matter?

Reckon I've sorted it out....as I thought, I need to keep the ohm rating the same but increase the output wattage. (do I really need to add an amplifier for a parking speaker) Trouble is, finding a suitable sized speaker with the correct ohm rating.
Thanks.

Reply to Quick question about 12v parking buzzers in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back