Discuss quick question.. reference voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaz2212

anyone no where in the 7671 anyone can find a quote or reg regarding reference voltage...

the question is

what conductor gives a known volage or reference voltage???

anyone no where in the 7671 anyone can find a quote or reg regarding reference voltage...

the question is

what conductor gives a known volage or reference voltage???

The answer would be the neutral conductor - 0 volts:)

I don't know if it's mentioned in the regs, but the reason is it's 'referenced' to earth (0v) at the star point in the transformer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the full question?

Only reference I would use would be Earth!

e.g. How would you prove polarity at a TN-C-S supply point. ( No volt stick )

Ans. Sink a Earth spike and bring a lead to the point of test.:cool:

I also would say it is earth

If the supply companies transformer loses it's earth on the star point the neutral will float as it has no reference point

Is that the full question?

Only reference I would use would be Earth!

True,
I did think of this way as well.

Bit of an ambiguos question, really.

Earth is at 0v and the neutral is referenced to this so......:) earth could be the answer.

Reply to quick question.. reference voltage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

So, according to AS 3000 5.3.2 Earthing conductor material and type 5.3.2.1 Conductor material 5.3.2.1.1 Copper conductors Copper earthing...
Replies
Views
Hello All and happy new year. Over the holiay I have changed all of my old sockets to some nice new ones and added a couple with usb sockets for...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
Doing some college work atm and come across a question asking me to provide an example of functional earth. I asked my boss at work but he doesn't...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in Mexico, where I have a small, un-official trailer park on my property. The property is serviced by my privately owned, 650amp...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock