Discuss quick question-smoke alarms upstairs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

davelerave

dormer style house

do i need one or two alarms upstairs here

is one in the lobby beside bedroom enough?

i have 2 in entrance and corridor below

+kitchen heat and living room optical smoke

i believe that as long as the distance of an alarm is no more than 7.5 metres from the doorway of any room on that floor. so if its on the landing it has to protect all rooms off it within a distance of 7.5 metres or less. if not u will need 2.(hope that makes sense)?!
or the other option is one in each room, customer and budget decides really, thats why min requirements are usually on escape routes like hallway and landings etc.
OSG or Aico website for info.

i'd be inclined to put 1 in the games room. and wtf is hot press, is it where they print the Daily Sport?

Depends if it's a new build or rewire. If it's a new build a LD2 system is required so optical alarms within 3m of all bedroom doors and at the head and base of all staircases. Additional smoke and heat alarms should also be fitted in areas of increased risk of fire. As a rule of thumb this would be a smoke alarm in the lounge (or similar room with lots of electronic gear in it) and a heat detector in the kitchen on top of the main escape routes. If it's a rewire a LD3 system is required which involves optical alarms along the escape route only so again within 3m of bedroom doors and at the head and base of all staircases. Worth having a look at the Aico site, plenty of good information there but worth reading Approved Document B too for all the information you'll need.

i believe that as long as the distance of an alarm is no more than 7.5 metres from the doorway of any room on that floor. so if its on the landing it has to protect all rooms off it within a distance of 7.5 metres or less. if not u will need 2.(hope that makes sense)?!

Whats floating in my diminishing memory cells is a maximum distance of 3 meters from any bedroom
Not sure why its floating there,it probably comes from that building reg book that is as shiny and unspoilt as the day I got it

Bet I'm wrong on this though :eek:

3 metres from a bedroom door is the max- afaik

top of staircase is less than 3m from bedroom door -but i'm wondering if the door 'between' alarm and bedroom door means an extra alarm is needed in lobby?

-but i'm wondering if the door 'between' alarm and bedroom door means an extra alarm is needed in lobby?

The distances must be, as they are, so that they are heard by the folks in the bed. and enough decibells to boot
So at a guess the door between would make that more difficult to justify not having another

I should really read up on this before doing this guesswork and posting what could be claptrap :)

One in lobby and one in landing. Thus you have one within 3m of each bedroom door (it's a bedroom, even if you call it a games room). You won't meet the sound level requirements otherwise.

true-games room/bedroom same thing;) prob from a rules point of view

i could fit one less than 3m from each bedroom door

but as there's a door in between i'll go with 2

Last edited by a moderator:
true-games room/bedroom same thing;) prob from a rules point of view

i could fit one less than 3m from each bedroom door

but as there's a door in between i'll go with 2

That's what i was getting at - too many doors for the sound to get through.

Whats floating in my diminishing memory cells is a maximum distance of 3 meters from any bedroom
Not sure why its floating there,it probably comes from that building reg book that is as shiny and unspoilt as the day I got it

Bet I'm wrong on this though :eek:

u not wrong des!!!!!!..................think i will double check before posting late at night! info was on page 16 of approved doc B 1.15A Im not sure?!.......am i looking in wrong place too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to quick question-smoke alarms upstairs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock