Discuss Quick Question - Which course should I begin with? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

dom91c

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about a career change to becoming an electrician.

I've found some courses at my local college and was wondering if it was worth me doing the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS7671) course before any other? Or am i going in too deep with that straight away?

I have no previous experience in electrical installation and wanted to do a few courses before eventually starting the 2365 level 2 course. I also thought having a couple of courses under my belt would give me an advantage when looking for an electricians mate role. I've passed my ECS Health and Safety Course and i'm based in Nottingham, if that helps in anyone giving advice.

Thanks for your time,

Dominic

Hi Dominic, there's countless threads on this subject if you use the search function. You'll probably even find one started by me from around 3 years ago.

I would suggest that you don't begin with C&G 2382. The natural place to start is C&G 2365 Level 2 - this will provide you with a foundation of knowledge needed to begin your journey as a mate. If you did the 2382 now you may well pass, but maybe not understand. Knowledge of the regs isn't as simple as a pass mark, it takes years to truly understand them, and a lot of "time served electricians" still struggle to understand them. Get some experience under your belt before you go for the 2382.

I'd recommend starting with some books, pick up your own knowledge whilst waiting to get on the 2365. Some suggestions?

Chris Kitcher: Wiring and lighting
Alan Lynch: Part P Doctor
Alan Lynch: Electrician's Safari

Those three are good places to start, they will give you a basic understanding and try to give real-life scenarios to help get the points across.

Good luck.

what he said. pointless doing 2382 until you have a sound knowledge of what the regs. mean.

Thanks for your detailed response. Looks like i'll be enrolling on 2365 level 2 first and hope to gain experience as an electricians mate along the way.

Thanks for the book suggestions too. I've already bought a couple of older 2330 books to help me start to understand the terminology and give me a bit of head start so i don't go into anything blind. But i'll be looking into your suggestions too.

Dominic

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about a career change to becoming an electrician.

I've found some courses at my local college and was wondering if it was worth me doing the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS7671) course before any other? Or am i going in too deep with that straight away?

I have no previous experience in electrical installation and wanted to do a few courses before eventually starting the 2365 level 2 course. I also thought having a couple of courses under my belt would give me an advantage when looking for an electricians mate role. I've passed my ECS Health and Safety Course and i'm based in Nottingham, if that helps in anyone giving advice.

Thanks for your time,

Dominic
what he said. pointless doing 2382 until you have a sound knowledge of what the regs. mean.
Has the 2330 been replaced?

Reply to Quick Question - Which course should I begin with? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net