Discuss Quickwire Splitter function? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

zakjay

DIY
Reaction score
Was wondering, when would you need to use a splitter? Isn't there usually enough room in a light to terminate more than one wire to go out to the next light?

What sort of splitter is that?
Regarding a light, are you talking a domestic ceiling rose?
Presumably just a lighting joint.......When do you think?

It's a light splitter from Quickwire. The Switch & Load is a great alternative to a light junction box, just don't see when you'd need a splitter, couldn't you go from light to light without it?

Splitter-In-Room.jpg

It's a light splitter from Quickwire. The Switch & Load is a great alternative to a light junction box, just don't see when you'd need a splitter, couldn't you go from light to light without it?

View attachment 52697

I really like these.
They would be good for when a customer buys one of these light that just come with a 3 way terminal and not enough room to put more.

Yeah you'd use a switch & load in that situation, I like these too, but just never understood when you'd need their other product, the splitter. Because once you've got your switch & load fitted, you can go from light to light without any other products, be it downlight or rose no? Can't think of a scenario when a junction/splitter would be needed again.

I use the grey splitters a lot when wanting tk take a live feed from a cable on say a loft or under a floorboard to then provide power for other lights etc. Very quick and easier than screws. Use quickwire over hager mf now due to the speed. About £1 difference in price. Next year quickwire will bring out one rated for ring and radials as at moment thry are only for lighting. The new ones will also handle stranded wires.

I’ve used the quickwire splitters on several occasions when installing multiple downlights, only need to use 1 power feed cable, then split this out to as many lights as required, using multiple splitters as required.

I’ve used the quickwire splitters on several occasions when installing multiple downlights, only need to use 1 power feed cable, then split this out to as many lights as required, using multiple splitters as required.

But why not just take the 1 power feed to your first downlight and daisy chain from there, light to light?

Isn't the difference with doing that and doing it your way is you have an added step of cutting and sticking all these wires into the splitter? Aren't you basically adding an unnecessary step?

I can see why you'd use a splitter to extend, or if your light couldn't fit more than one wire in a terminal, but most can no?

Reply to Quickwire Splitter function? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net