Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Quinetic wireless units - power reset in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Does anyone know if quinetic wireless units (switches/receivers) retain the memory after the power is cut, and if so for how long?

happysteve

-
Arms
Esteemed
I've never known one forget their pairing. I've never had a call-back. When power is restored, they always revert to the "off" position (which is useful for getting the switches the right way up).

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I agree. Never had a problem with the pairing being forgotten...except if some extraneous signal has interfered, which has happened to me a couple of times on my own home install. (Speaks volumes, that!)
On other sites, I have never seen a problem. As happysteve says, they default to off normally.
Reset is only a problem if the receivers are tucked away. I try to install them in the loft, side by side, clearly labelled...not always possible, i know, but if you do get outside influences it is easy to re-pair.
Not worth worrying about, imho...just enjoy the freedom they give.

I'm in agreement with the others. Never had a problem with reset. Have installed loads for clients and have them at home too, linked to Alexa (god forbid the kids have to get up to turn their lights on). I'm always turning off power for one reason or another and they've never become unpaired.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I would add that the nice people at Quinetic provided me with a neat demo unit, and this sits in a box for weeks at a time, disconnected from the mains. When I set it up, the switch is always still paired. Customers love it!
(The mains cord supplied is however, one of the awful ones from t'internet)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks again all. A customer wants 6 of these fitted rather than channel out her walls.

Just to clarify, I do recall reading on here a while ago someone saying that occasionally the switches can end up in the wrong position, not of course an issue for 2 way lighting, but not great for one way switches. When/if this happens, how is this corrected?

SparkySy

-
Arms
I have fitted 4 in the same house before with no issues. if that happened you just switch the switch the other way and it should sort itself out!
I've fitted hundreds of them over the years and they are bulletproof, only had 1controler die on me and that was because the customer added more lights without consulting me and the unit was too small to switch the load.
I have had 1 switch fail 5 years after I fitted it and that was I think due to the amount of times it was used( on a farm too)

happysteve

-
Arms
Esteemed
Thanks again all. A customer wants 6 of these fitted rather than channel out her walls.

Just to clarify, I do recall reading on here a while ago someone saying that occasionally the switches can end up in the wrong position, not of course an issue for 2 way lighting, but not great for one way switches. When/if this happens, how is this corrected?
Two ways:

(1) Turn switches to "off" position. Turn off power to circuit (i.e. at circuit breaker/RCBO). Restore power. Now, "off" is "off".

(2) Flick the switch on-off really quickly. If you're fast enough, the receiver only registers one of the switch actions, and the switch behaves the other way round.

If all else fails, flick the Mcb for the circuit, pop the switch in correct position and energise the circuit again.

If all else fails, flick the Mcb for the circuit, pop the switch in correct position and energise the circuit again.
If you're putting in the WiFi models you can just turn on/off from app or alexa or whatever you're using, and the switch will remain in whatever position it was left in.

If you're putting in the WiFi models you can just turn on/off from app or alexa or whatever you're using, and the switch will remain in whatever position it was left in.

Two ways:

(1) Turn switches to "off" position. Turn off power to circuit (i.e. at circuit breaker/RCBO). Restore power. Now, "off" is "off".

(2) Flick the switch on-off really quickly. If you're fast enough, the receiver only registers one of the switch actions, and the switch behaves the other way round.
Sorry Steve. Didn't see your reply mate.

FatAlan

-
Trainee
They've been singing their praises on GSG electrical or efixx on youtube. Going to have to have a play.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Quinetic wireless units - power reset in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom