Discuss Quote for a tiny job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. A woman who lives about a mile away has asked me to change two outside lights. One being a floodlight with built in PIR, the other just a stainless lantern. Both have existing wiring in place which is all fine. For the floodlight I need to provide a rotational bracket (cost me about £10) and the customer is providing the light fittings. I don’t want to rip the lady off, but at the same time I want it to be worth my while going to do the work. What would you guys be charging? I’m expecting it to be a 30 min job on my way home.

cheers

Its always more than twice the amount of time than you think. I generally have a minimum charge so including bracket and other sundries would be £75 (Not VAT registered so no vat to pay)

If you are well established, then as above. If not my approach to the new place I live in is to do things cheaply on small jobs. Get to know the customer and make it a loss leader just to get myself known and hopefully liked. Of course as noted there may be complications such as you do a loop test and something is wrong then it gets a bit more expensive given the client has been advised and agrees to further work. I tend to find around 10% of jobs there is something wrong with the earth in one form or another, such things as that.

If you are well established, then as above. If not my approach to the new place I live in is to do things cheaply on small jobs. Get to know the customer and make it a loss leader just to get myself known and hopefully liked. Of course as noted there may be complications such as you do a loop test and something is wrong then it gets a bit more expensive given the client has been advised and agrees to further work. I tend to find around 10% of jobs there is something wrong with the earth in one form or another, such things as that.
NEVER !!! Once cheap always cheap. The customers have great memories and expectations .

I've had the old chestnut of "its just a couple of lights to swap" before and ended up caught out. On the other hand I have done small jobs for folks that turned out to be so simple it left me feeling like I was ripping the customer off. I've had the ones that are happy to pay the price, keep you fed and watered on tea and biscuits and even slipped a few extra quid on top. Then those that "can you just... while you are here" and/or expect the earth for their payment.
I think things balance out eventually, especially if you remember, this is your business and its what you do to earn a living. When you sit down and consider all your outgoings you soon realise that if you are not careful you can end up a busy fool.
If its a straight forward job and likely to bring you repeat custom then just charge what you feel is a fair price. In that, fair to you and your customer!

"£40, assuming it takes less than an hour and I don't need any materials. I'll need to check there's an earth before I start."

If it really is a 10-15 min job, and less than 5-10 mins away, and no materials other than a couple of screws/wall plugs, and the customer has been courteous / kind, I might well just charge £20... but I'd never give them this figure in advance.

Reply to Quote for a tiny job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net