Discuss Quoting BIG job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

axel132132

Hi,

Ive not started on my own business properly yet been working for my mates company, but ive just had a Tender sent through a big big job.. Its an extension on a mansion with Cinema room, swimming pool room, bar, pool table room, changing rooms, toilets.. Etc etc BIG extension..

How do you go about quoting such a big job, do you do price per point?? or what.. Everything in MK..

Or would you get a price of wholesaler for all materials, work out how long it will take and how much i want per day, + how much to pay self employed electricians per day for the work

Cheers

I'd do both and see which one worked best. You've got a feel for the client, you know what you're more likely to get out of them. Big note to make though, make some provision for stage payments

as trev said. most important thing is get 30% up front. 30% after completing 1st fix. balance on completion. obviously, these percentages can be varied slightly to suit you and the client,

Yeh, in the clients terms it says 5% retention, 2.5% paid after 6 months 2.5% after 12 months.. So thats 5% of price i wont see till a year lol

This is going to be a hard one for you.

First question is... Is it within your limitations?

Second Question... Do you have the manpower to fulfill the contract.

Who are you working for, the client or the builder?

It's going to be very tough as you will be working alongside other trades no doubt and you can bet there will be some form of alterations along the way.

I personally couldn't take on anything like this, too big and not experienced enough if I am completely honest.

Good luck, I hope it works out well for you:thumbsup

Also, have you sorted out your Part P registration yet? ;)

depends on what you call big big,big problems can follow big jobs,and the fact your asking people how to price it means imo your not ready for it,it could be the best thing you have done or the worst,have a look for a thread posted by a good lad today as to what can go wrong,as trev says whats the upfront/intrim payments

Good luck with it axel, some good tips above.
Only thing i would add is check architect does not claim his 2.5% as they do on some jobs if no changes are made.
Even if youyour miles out on price it will be good practice at pricing and quoting in this manner.
Let us know how you get on.

and when you have worked out what you consider a decent price, add 30%. this will cover you for pi$$ing about waiting for plasterers, finding boxes and lighting cables that have been covered up, repairing nailed cables, altering socket positions etc., etc.

Axel a word of advice pal
Price to the drawing and stick to it,ask all questions before you start
all additionals will be extras for you.architects have a tendency of saying the drawings are indicative too it's there get out clause.
Should be a very nice job for you

Are you actually part P registered yet mate?
I would say that you may find this a lot to take on by yourself with no experience of actually "going it alone". I just hope that you don't end up out of pocket.
Remember what we all talked about a few weeks ago... start small, get a feel for your abilities and how to deal with customers and contracts before going out on a limb.
Btw, it is unacceptable to have to wait more than 30 days for some payment. If it is a big job then materials up-front, followed by payment after a certain amount of time, or certain stage in work, then balance on completion. Cash-flow is the lifeline of any business.

Quoting for this conversion I am doing now, I got the TLC catalog thinking low mid range prices.
Stuck all common items on a spread sheet and put VAT on top all, and a 10% gain on all.

Then thought how long and how much I want to make on the job, gave a nice price I was happy with and they jumped at it.

Me either, cheers

Im going at it with the guy im currently working for at the moment (My gf sisters BF), hes a spark had alot of experience with mansions and large domestic jobs, although never priced for one but were going to sit down tomorrow and price it.

As for PART P not as of yet as i got a job working for my gf sisters bf for a bit, which i just have to 2nd fix a re-wire next week then i will be getting my PART P =]

Quick one, can i use that job as one of my jobs for Part P? As it wasnt mine?

I am kind of nervous about it BUT at the moment i have nothing to lose, i live with my mum.. i have a £1600 van.. and a laptop and thats about it really so if all went MAJOR wrong then thats all i can lose me thinks? Although im going to price it, then add on a percentage and that

Will i need to visit the property do you think cos at the moment the info i have is they want MK sockets and nice fittings.. But surely they will want the fittings to match existing lights etc.. and they have speakers all over place, surely that wants to be on current system and same with alarm and cctv etc. Plus need to check bonding and wether the load on current board has enough spare to take for a new board and all the new additions

Anything else i need to check for?

OHH and BTW for those who want to know how i got the tender:

I Google for builders "AREA" and sent a email (Separate to each so that no other builder was CC in email) and got my mum to write a letter (I dictated but as crap at english she wrote) - saying basically what experience i have had, what past jobs i have been part of etc and said if they ever have a job they wish for me to quote for i would be happy to and if they are then happy with my price they can then get me in to do the work basically.. Did that 3 months ago'ish.. Got the call and boom job to price may have taken 3 months but my god this job is huge!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will i need to visit the property do you think cos at the moment the info i have is they want MK sockets and nice fittings..

Seriously, think about this long and hard before you do anything. You can't give a quote based on that, you couldn't even give an estimate. For a job of that nature you quote off plan and as per the spec list. If you don't you'll get reamed.

at the moment i have nothing to lose, i live with my mum.. i have a £1600 van.. and a laptop and thats about it really so if all went MAJOR wrong then thats all i can lose me thinks?

You're not serious about that are you? If you are then you really need to concentrate on getting a job on the cards because if you work for people with that attitude it will end badly for you and any poor unfortunate that you do work for.

axel, it's always a good idea to actually see the job you are pricing for. You never know what you will find until you get there...
You should only use jobs which YOU have done in their entirety for your part P assessment, otherwise it's not you being assessed is it?
You say that you have nothing to lose....well, just make sure you have adequate public liability insurance before you carry out any work. Any accidents or mistakes will have to be paid for by you.

Axel, I'd say it's imperative that you have a site visit prior to starting this, that way you get a feel for the job and who you'll be working with and for. At that point if there's anything you don't like the feel of you can walk away. Don't be seduced by the big payday, try to see the job as it will be

Another thing, when you do the site visit is to check the designers plans. It may be a very well designed installation but check first. I recently told a company that sent me a load of technical drawings that I thought the designers circuits could lead to tripping of the MCB feeding the submain, as the load I would expect to see on the circuits would have been too high and sent them suggestions on how to avoid this..

They may be offended by this but generally you would get brownie points for your attention to detail and, after all, whether you designed the installation or not, if it isn't going to do the job its designed for you will get some of the blame.

Quick questions guys:

I have a site visit now for tomorrow, builder said will be nice to see a face to the business

My issue is im 22, do you think this is going to have a large impact now on the builders knowing there dealing with a young company?

Should i go dressed in trousers and a smart t-shirt, or are builders generally not bothered as in if its red hot could i turn up in shorts and a t-shirt?

Cheers

Reply to Quoting BIG job in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock