Discuss Quoting for a plastering job... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
You lot may think I've lost my mind, but I need to know this!

Learnt the plastering trade over the years and can skim a wall/ceiling as well as anyone.

Mentioned this to a guy at a company I do occasional work for and he said he asked if I could drop by and quote for a job.

Job is dead simple, just remove a door, build a frame, plasterboard each side and skim. (Before the mods get annoyed at me for posting in the wrong forum, he also wants a socket installing to so technically it's an electrical job! Just a simple spur off a nearby ring!)

Problem is that I've honestly got no idea how much to ask for! I've never had to employ a plasterer so have no idea what their rates normally are!

Anyone got any ideas for me?!

how long it will take, + materials + a bit. This works when you are also doing the electrics bit.

I also do plastering and on my latest job, discovered a wicked new method.

Basically I cut the chase, dob the box in with bonding (no fixings), run the cable in, then starting from the bottom of the chase, lob blobs of bonding in over the cable to hold it back in the chase, then add more bonding 'till it's all full up, then trowel flat and let to dry. Then I use ready mixed sandable filler finishing an inch or so either side of the chase ready for a very very fine sand back ready to paint.

That way , the customer is not going to get stupid prices off plasterers for making good, I make a bit extra, and I'm not waiting around for other trades.

I think it's a great way to make yourself stand out in a saturated market.

Nice one.

who cares! no one will know and it's not like you're stealing their work. YOU were asked to quote to do the job, not them.

at least you'll be able to find your boxes after plastering.

but he can't charge sparks' rate for slopping muck. that's farm labourer rates.

They are paying for an electrician to do the work, so charge your normal rate.
If you don't know how long it's going to take, I think a ROUGH guess should do.lol.

but he can't charge sparks' rate for slopping muck. that's farm labourer rates.

You are right, he needs to up his rate a bit :lol:

I did a bit of labouring to help some one out recently (knocking down partitions etc). I realised afterwards that I got more per hour from that than I do for quite a lot of smaller electrical jobs when I take into account the time I spend quoting, getting materials, doing certs and invoices etc etc..... :(

Reply to Quoting for a plastering job... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net