Discuss quoting large rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
hey guys,
i have just started out on my own and have a job to quote for which is a a 4 bedroom house with 4 reception rooms. it has around 40 sockets to install throughout, nothing fancy like gu10s or anything.
i dont want to overquote but at the same time dont want to work for nothing.
are you best working out how many days it will take and give a price on your day rate or give a price per point.
do you guys add a percentage on the materials cost aswell.
could just do with a couple of pointers

thanks

use excel and make sure you allow for everything ....... and don't forget outside circuits and lights ...

No idea about Nottingham rates !

what do you quote per point and is it just labour you quote in the price

Per point includes ALL materials, etc

Recommend you don't go down the route of declaring all the parts costs ...............

Just make sure your quote or estimate lists what is included clearly. i.e. qty of sockets per room, lights, 2 way switching, fuseboard, fused spurs ..........

who is making good?

Sounds like a good job to gain some pricing experience on. Quote it time and materials, then quote it per point and see how far apart they are.
When you have finished the job evaluate all the actual material costs and actual time taken and use that to divide out to a per point price.

Per point pricing is most useful when it is all inclusive... the job top to bottom inc labour and materials.

Keep a track of all extras asked for outside the original quote and charge for every single one keeping the customer informed at every stage.

Keep a track of all extras asked for outside the original quote and charge for every single one keeping the customer informed at every stage.

Really good advice ......... leave it to the end and there will be issues about pricing and then non payment.

Really good advice ......... leave it to the end and there will be issues about pricing and then non payment.

Ahuh. I helped out on a mate's rewire a few years back. The customer kept asking "Oh could you just do this ?" To which my mate told him it would be extra. "Yeah I appreciate it will all be extra, just charge me for it" was the customer's attitude.
I kept nagging my mate to keep the customer up to speed but he took their promise on faith. At the end when he presented him with a £1700 extras bill the customer flipped his lid. My mate lost at least a day typing up all the extras and itemising everything to get the customer to pay...which they still weren't happy to do.

Could have been a lot worse.

The first rewire I did on my own ...

Each time the customer made a change I sent him an estimate to cover the addition.

Towards the end the client got funny about the costs, so I sent him, again, the original estimate, plus all the extras ....

My final bill was paid without question

His prices arn't too far out.The 3 gang chrome switch is overpriced,the hob and oven circuits are under priced but other than that it's not far off.I wouldn't want to give a 10 year warranty though.I can't see the extract fan,cabinet lights or kick plate lights lasting 10 years in which case you would be out of pocket if you had to replace them at your own cost.My materials warranty is what the manufacturers give.If it's the standard 12 months then that's the warranty.Obviously the wiring etc should last a lot longer but nothing seems to be built to last.
Also I don't take deposits in advance.If it's a large job then I ask for a part payment after I have first fixed.That way the customer is only paying for the work so far carried out and it gives you an indication on how they will pay the rest based on the part payment speed.

hey guys,
i have just started out on my own and have a job to quote for which is a a 4 bedroom house with 4 reception rooms. it has around 40 sockets to install throughout, nothing fancy like gu10s or anything.
are you best working out how many days it will take and give a price on your day rate or give a price per point.

thanks
It's not easy getting prices right when you just start and you can lose money very easily if you aren't careful. For this rewire just decide how many days it will take you and multiply by your day rate price,that is for your labour and then materials are added on top. For example,
10 days labour @£150 a day = £3000 and allow a grand for materials= quote of £4000
10 days labour x 2 electricians = £3000 labour

Last edited:
"10 days labour @£150 a day = £3000 and allow a grand for materials= quote of £4000"

I think your maths is out on this one. 10 days labour times £150 a day is £1500 not £3000.
Been on a creative accounting course Kentsparky:rolleyes:

hey guys,

thanks
It's not easy getting prices right when you just start and you can lose money very easily if you aren't careful. For this rewire just decide how many days it will take you and multiply by your day rate price,that is for your labour and then materials are added on top. For example,
10 days labour @£150 a day = £3000 and allow a grand for materials= quote of £4000
"10 days labour @£150 a day = £3000 and allow a grand for materials= quote of £4000"

I think your maths is out on this one. 10 days labour times £150 a day is £1500 not £3000.
Been on a creative accounting course Kentsparky:rolleyes:
Bob you are correct I will edit my post. Cheers

Reply to quoting large rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock