Discuss QUOTING in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Recently I’ve done many quote rewires, and even small jobs.
Got none of them, apparently I’m quoting too high.
I live in Yorkshire.
I sub contract to company at the moment, but I am wanting to eventually go on my own. Seeming impossible.
How do people quote their jobs?

How do you do your quotes? More info needed to help.
Because I also work Monday to Friday 7-5, I’m not charging much.
200 a day labour, materials for how much they cost me then 45p mileage from my house to the job.
I quote £1,000 labour, mileage and materials as it cost me for a 2 bedroom dormer bungalow and a small conservatory (how two doubles and a light)

Doesn’t sound bad to me. Have potential customers told you what the quotes were they received that were less than yours?

If others are cheaper than that then you don't want to know. I'm in Hull and charge much more than that. I probably win 80% of quotes.

Have you costed in building control notification and insurances too ? You don't want to be doing jobs on the side without them.

If others are cheaper than that then you don't want to know. I'm in Hull and charge much more than that. I probably win 80% of quotes.

Have you costed in building control notification and insurances too ? You don't want to be doing jobs on the side without them.
I’ve got public Liability and I’m registered with Napit, but it seems pointless haha.
Not done one job since signing up with a Napit

Because I also work Monday to Friday 7-5, I’m not charging much.
200 a day labour, materials for how much they cost me then 45p mileage from my house to the job.
I quote £1,000 labour, mileage and materials as it cost me for a 2 bedroom dormer bungalow and a small conservatory (how two doubles and a light)
Too cheap IMO, far too cheap, you should be 250 a day now plus 15 percent on materials, forget the 45 pence travel, looks amateurish IMO

Charge £150 a day and you will get every quote. 5 days £750.

Charge £250 a day and you only get 3 days work £750.

No brainier.

I’m happy to work 2or 3 days a week, but that rarely happens although I’ve not had much work for the past month, so I’m enjoying the hot weather.

There are times I dont get 3 or 4 quotes in a row. It doesn’t bother me as I know the fifth quote I will get.

75-80% of quotes I get. If I got 100% of quotes I’d put my prices up.

Another point to make is the detail and professionalism of the quote. I am quite often undercut, but still get the job.

I didn’t get a lot of work of my own, but I did a fair bit by working for kitchen and bathroom installers. Once another trade has your number, they seem to use the same people. I did get used by a builder, but decided not to continue, as most builders have strange working practices.

Domestic work is a bit cut throat, as you’ve found out. And some domestic customers, seem to expect you to do work for pennies.

Reply to QUOTING in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock