Discuss (r1+r2)/4, the myth expelled? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not an electrician but a keen amateur. I understand the testing on RFC and how it's done but couldn't get my head round the (r1+r2)/4 calculation. I've trawled this site (and others) and it seems to me that a lot of people struggle to explain this fully. The truth is that this equation only holds up when the CSA of the conductors are equal - which is not the case with the line and cpc. I attach a document that I think explains it reasonably but I'm sure more experienced professionals can comment (which would be appreciated)

Attachments

• final_divide_by_four.pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 37
Having been an electrician for 19 years I can categorically say that the formula is correct.
If I have say 0.30 end to end for my line conductor and 0.50 end to end for my cpc’s (2.5mm T+E) then when I measure at each socket outlet with the cross connection method, then I will measure 0.20 ohms for my R1+R2 measurement.
The calculation/formula is indeed correct.

For same size conductors say 2.5mm then my R1+R2 will be half of my measured r1 ,rn and r2 end to ends, in this example 0.15ohms.
It’s a simple resisters in parallel calculation clearly explained in GN3.

We are splitting hairs here maybe I’ll measure 0.21 at some sockets maybe 0.20 at some and maybe 0.19.

Last edited:
basically, your end-end is the resistance of 1 conductor. add a 2nd conductor in parallel, the resistance is divided by 2. R1+R2 is 1/2 of this so in total you divide by 4. ( ending up with the ansewr Tuesday).

(R1+R2)/4 = Expected R2

Its divided by 4 because its half the length (divided by 2) of R1+R2; then divided by 2 again because your eliminating R1. The result is R2

Hi, I'm not an electrician but a keen amateur. I understand the testing on RFC and how it's done but couldn't get my head round the (r1+r2)/4 calculation. I've trawled this site (and others) and it seems to me that a lot of people struggle to explain this fully. The truth is that this equation only holds up when the CSA of the conductors are equal - which is not the case with the line and cpc. I attach a document that I think explains it reasonably but I'm sure more experienced professionals can comment (which would be appreciated)
No it stands up whether the CSA is equal or not.
It even stands up if the CSA of each conductor varies along the length of that conductor.

Last edited by a moderator:
(R1+R2)/4 = Expected R2

Its divided by 4 because its half the length (divided by 2) of R1+R2; then divided by 2 again because your eliminating R1. The result is R2
No.
We halve it once, because we effectively have two conductors going to the same point, then we halve it again because the two conductors have reduced the resistance by half.

I do enjoy my Saturdays lol.
r1+r2 is halved cause its half the length (agreement on that), then the formula needs another division of 2 to satisfy (division of 4). So in that case its half the remainder

Reply to (r1+r2)/4, the myth expelled? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock