Discuss R1 & R2 Testing Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just started testing at college and not sure of the following in regards to the R1 + R2 testing:

1. Why are the readings in a ring the same or similar? Compared to radial?

2. Why do you cross connect line and cpc in a ring to carry out the R1 + R2?

Thanks
Steve

have a look [video=youtube;9GRLM6sgDXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GRLM6sgDXM&feature=related[/video] mate. i could explain it to you but its sometimes easier to get a visual on things rather than reading it. if you need any more help let me know and i will explain it to you

Thanks for the reply, please bear with me, I have done some testing but still not sure as to why the R1 + R2 readings on a ring are similar/same at each socket? But on a radial they are different?

Do you cross connect the line and cpc to ensure a complete ring when testing R1 & R2?

At college they call it the "Figure of eight" method if I remember correctly.

Resistance is proportional to length and inversely proportional to CSA (Cross sectional area) so a Radial increases in R, by making it a ring you are effectively doubling the CSA ( I think) but my brain hurts lol

Thanks for the reply, please bear with me, I have done some testing but still not sure as to why the R1 + R2 readings on a ring are similar/same at each socket? But on a radial they are different?

Do you cross connect the line and cpc to ensure a complete ring when testing R1 & R2?

you have a pm :D should explain things a bit. let me know if you are still unsure

Anybody in need of one of these? They are on Ebay at the moment for just over a Tenner.
R1 & R2 Testing Help {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Please wait
Image not available

• Enlarge

R1 & R2 Testing Help {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Kewtech Kewcheck R2 Socket Adaptor

bought one but can't get my fingers in the holes

Reply to R1 & R2 Testing Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock