Discuss Radial circuit. Star from wagobox or daisychain in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jase31

Can a radial circuit be installed by taking the supply to a location into a wagobox, splitting and dropping down to 2/3 sockets, or is it preferable to daisy chain from each socket (uses more cable, and further voltage drop)

can't see a problem, but i would prefer to daisy chain the sockets, if only to have all joints in the sockets.

I dont like juction boxes, and daisychain is my preference, but on downstairs drops, a star uses less cable that going up and down daisychaining.

used to be common years ago, especially on lighting. was called spider wiring, or seek out the junction box.

If you wire with a JB as a "spider", you will end up with multiple end of lines. Therefore you need to test r1 + r2 and loop impedance numerous times for one circuit.
For this reason, I believe a regular radial "daisy chain", is better.

I've just come accross a similar situation when conducting a PIR.
At first glance I thought it was a RFC, as the CPD was a 30A rewireable, and there are two 2.5mm² T&E cables.
When I inspected the socket-outlets each was supplied by just one 2.5mm² cable except for one in the living room directly above the CU.
Without tearing up the carpets and floorboards, I can only assume that the sockets have been wired in a spider configuration.
I suppose it is possible that the circuit has been run as a ring, and each socket-outlet spured off the ring using a JB?
Very strange. Obviously I've changed the CPD to 20A.

I suppose it is possible that the circuit has been run as a ring, and each socket-outlet spured off the ring using a JB?

seen that on a few jobs from the 60's and 70's. basically you have a RFC with unfused spurs, but as long as there's only 1 outlet on each spur, it would comply with a 32A MCB .the problem would arise when someone spurred additional sockets from a spur without fusing down. replacing the CPD with a 20A is a wise move. done the same in our gaff, where over the years, spurs have been extended.

did you do an end to end test at the DB to test for a ring?

if it was indeed a ring then the 30a fuse would have been fine.
I kind of fibbed slightly when I said that I was conducting a PIR, I haven't really started it yet.
I was actually asked to add two socket-outlets, one in a bedroom and the other in the kitchen.
The one in the bedroom was to be spured back to back with one in the living room.
When I removed the socket front in the living room, to drill through the wall, I noticed that there was only one cable, so at first thought it was already spured.
I thought that I would have a look at the other socket in the bedroom to see if I could spur from there instead.
After discovering just the one cable at this socket, I decided to check out all the other sockets 9 in total.
Eight sockets have only the one cable, and just the one directly over the CU has two. There is also an old 6mm² feed to an FCU which was for an immersion heater (long since removed) on the same circuit.
I quickly conducted some Zs test at each socket, and found such a disparity of readings that it suggests the sockets are spider rather than on a ring. Readings varied from 0.17Ω to 0.55Ω.
I then suggested that I should return to conduct a PIR, which has been agreed.
As I charge a fixed price for a PIR, I didn't want to get the work of the sockets mixed up with the price for the PIR.
So I finished the sockets off, changed the CPD to 20A, and will return tomorrow to conduct the PIR, when I will conduct the tests at the DB, and also take a look at the mess in the loft.
Obviously I won't bother re-testing the Zs at the sockets, as I've already got those results along with the Ze of 0.09Ω and the PFC of 3.77kA (TN-S).

Reply to Radial circuit. Star from wagobox or daisychain in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net