Discuss Radial wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I’m currently wiring my upstairs sockets on a 2.5 T&E protected by a 20A mcb do you think I will get nuisance trip due to the small size mcb or would you recommend making it a ring and using a 32A mcb. I don’t like rings so tried to stay away just I had some spare 2.5 but probably should have made it a 4mm radial

Your assessment of the likely load upstairs is going to be better than mine and a vital part of the design process, but I never have more than a couple of bedside luminaires (were 60W, now 10W LED) an alarm clock (4W) and a telly (32W) and DVD player (25W), so well under 1 amp for the lot...
And, of course, an RCD is needed for new work.
(However, mine has a rewireable fuse, no RCD, wooden floorboards and all the equipment listed above is class II and I'm in no hurry to change it.)

Last edited:
Not forgetting numerous chargers, hairdryers, straighteners, laptops, gaming pc set ups etc etc.

Can I ask why you don’t like rings?

20A will be more than enough as long as you don't have teenage daughters with 2kW hairdryers etc.

So basically you are questioning your circuit design.
Only you know the loading of the radials you have installed
IMO better use the flexibility of a RFC if you are unsure.

If you are doing a whole floor then a RFC makes more sense, unless you know for sure that the max load and length for VD limits (42m on 2.5mm) are met on the radial.

Probably a 20A radial is fine, it will cope with 2 * 2kW heater loads no problem, and I guess you won't have a 2kW induction motor up there on DOL starting!

Hi I’m currently wiring my upstairs sockets on a 2.5 T&E protected by a 20A mcb do you think I will get nuisance trip due to the small size mcb or would you recommend making it a ring and using a 32A mcb. I don’t like rings so tried to stay away just I had some spare 2.5 but probably should have made it a 4mm radial
It will be fine unless you're going to have tonnes of stuff plugged in and working all at the same time.

We're probably one of about 3 countries that uses rings. Everyone else uses radials and nobody struggles with tripping. Should be able to handle 12+ sockets comfortably.

It all depends on your design. If you're going to put 60 sockets in and know every room is gonna have DVD, XBOX, telly, PC, heaters, chargers, kettles etc on at all times then just do a ring or multiple radials. For normal use ie telly + dvd player in each room, charger here and there, the odd hairdryer or iron, it's fine.

Reply to Radial wiring help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock