Discuss Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, first time posting here, was hoping for some theories/advice regarding a confusing situation. Essentially we were looking to add one or two sockets to a upstairs bedroom (40's build rewired in 80's I think with black/red colour system). It currently has two sockets and there is also one in the landing which according to the consumer unit is all wired radially of a separate fuse on the unit. Downstairs is on a ring main and there is another radial route for front two bedrooms from the consumer unit on a different fuse.

Now, my confusion comes because when trying to isolate this circuit, the sockets remained live on testing even with the proper fuse removed. I have since determined that if the lighting circuit MCB is also off, then these sockets are dead. However if EITHER the lighting fuse OR the radial fuse is on, these three sockets receive power. Any ideas what may be going on before I pull up the all the floorboards?

Additionally, this is an old consumer unit we are getting replaced as it doesn't have RCD protection and runs of the old 2 pin fuses but this will probably throw up testing problems afterwards if somehow the lighting circuit and this radial spur are connected somewhere

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hello all, first time posting here, was hoping for some theories/advice regarding a confusing situation. Essentially we were looking to add one or two sockets to a upstairs bedroom (40's build rewired in 80's I think with black/red colour system). It currently has two sockets and there is also one in the landing which according to the MCB is all wired radially of a separate fuse on the MCB. Downstairs is on a ring main and there is another radial route for front two bedrooms from the MCB on a different fuse.

Now, my confusion comes because when trying to isolate this circuit, the sockets remained live on testing even with the proper fuse removed. I have since determined that if the lighting circuit is also off, then these sockets are dead. However if EITHER the lighting fuse OR the radial fuse is on, these three sockets receive power. Any ideas what may be going on before I pull up the all the floorboards?

Additionally, this is an old MCB we are getting replaced as it doesn't have RCD protection and runs of the old 2 pin fuses but this will probably throw up testing problems afterwards if somehow the lighting circuit and this radial spur are connected somewhere

Many thanks
Mate you seem to be getting MCBs RCDs and fuses mixed up, which in turn makes your post difficult to understand, is there any chance you could post a picture of your Consumers Unit (fuse box), it would go a long way to helping people decypher what exactly you have as far as electrical distribution in your house, please get back as soon as you can.

Sure please see below.

TLDR: Sockets in one room and landing seem to operate with either lighting or the specific fuse for the radial upstairs circuit on at the control board. (And the control board doesnt have RCD protected fuses)

Edited original post for clarity as well

Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial 20180517_134540 - EletriciansForums.net

Here are the three sockets which appear to be live when either the lighting MCB OR the radial fuse are on/live.

It seems the last socket is the one in the 2nd image (134933) as that only has one wire going to it.

Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial 20180517_134926 - EletriciansForums.net

Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial 20180517_134933 - EletriciansForums.net

Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial 20180517_134950 - EletriciansForums.net

Here are the three sockets which appear to be live when either the lighting MCB OR the radial fuse are on/live.

It seems the last socket is the one in the 2nd image (134933) as that only has one wire going to it.

View attachment 42289

View attachment 42290

View attachment 42291
You need to employ an Electrician mate to sort this out, obviously somewhere inside your CU someone hs botched up the circuitry.

The electrician is already booked and coming to change the consumer unit next Thursday and obviously has to test the whole system afterwards, I have given him a heads up about this new finding but was curious as to what people thought the likely cause was sounds like mis-wired consumer unit most likely then?

Curiously enough, I came across a vaguely similar type problem a couple of weeks ago. A security light, powered by both the lighting circuit and socket circuit - so it came on either with a light switch or the PIR sensor operating.

Net result, when light switch is on and PIR operates, then a socket ring final circuit and a lighting radial circuit became cross connected. The previous owner had somewhat helpfully put a note in the fuse box lids "to isolate both circuits when working on this light"!

I'm not suggesting this will be your problem, but that someone somewhere has done something stupid and dangerous because they didn't understand the implications.

I did a board change a while back ................. some muppet had connected the immersion circuit AND the upstairs lighting together ...... very odd thing to do

if EITHER the lighting fuse OR the radial fuse is on, these three sockets receive power.
The is a connection between the live conductors of the two circuits. This could be in the cu, in an accessory or other termination, or due to failed insulation somewhere.
Only a fault finding procedure including testing and inspection of the circuits would determine where the issue is.

40's build you say? That door looks 30's to me, but maybe they just carried over? Whatever, preserve those doors! and handles! Period, they are!

I did a board change a while back ................. some muppet had connected the immersion circuit AND the upstairs lighting together ...... very odd thing to do
I'd be surprised if that was intentional. It's the uninitiated person's approach to electrics - if something doesn't work then turn things on and connect things together until it either works or goes bang.
Chances are in this instance they were content that the lights came on and left it at that before they stopped working again, or went bang; a partial victory.

I'd be surprised if that was intentional. It's the uninitiated person's approach to electrics - if something doesn't work then turn things on and connect things together until it either works or goes bang.
Chances are in this instance they were content that the lights came on and left it at that before they stopped working again, or went bang; a partial victory.

Oh! The Ol' Bang Test Gang.
I've worked with a few of them in the past and more recently.
If you ever find yourself unfortunate enough to be in the same position, at the point when the power comes on, be somewhere else. ;)

Hint: If looking over his shoulder you see a 2.5mm and a 6mm in the same 20A MCB and his answer is "I can't remember, we'll test it after"... Be somewhere else.
I walked out on the first day.

I wouldn't worry, the old man has a whole case of them from the doors for that reason...they will stay in the box for rest of time no doubt but hey ho. ;D

Will post and update once he has had a look at it

I wouldn't worry, the old man has a whole case of them from the doors for that reason...they will stay in the box for rest of time no doubt but hey ho. ;D

Will post and update once he has had a look at it

Reply to Radial socket on landing and rear bedroom appears to be powered from lighting and radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock