Discuss Radials V Ring mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all,

This may be a common topic and may already have been spoken about 100s of times so forgive me in advance.

I have always wired in ring mains for my sockets up until recently..

I came across an install where all sockets were wired in 2.5 radials protected by 20A RCBO they had wired 3 bedrooms all on separate 2.5 radials (Loft & 1st floor)
i did question why each room was separate and the response i got was "customers request due to computers"

I am hearing more and more people wiring 4mm radials protected by 32A as its "convenient"

whats peoples general thoughts on this?

buzzlightyear

-
Arms
Esteemed
I am hearing more and more people wiring 4mm radials protected by 32A as its "convenient"
I can understand if a couple of sockets covered by a 20amp, but a full floor would be a ring .
but it down to the installer what he thinks at the time .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Each room is on a separate radial with around 4 sockets in - very weird arrangement i know

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Hi all,

This may be a common topic and may already have been spoken about 100s of times so forgive me in advance.

I have always wired in ring mains for my sockets up until recently..

I came across an install where all sockets were wired in 2.5 radials protected by 20A RCBO they had wired 3 bedrooms all on separate 2.5 radials (Loft & 1st floor)
i did question why each room was separate and the response i got was "customers request due to computers"

whats peoples general thoughts on this?
Great idea.
20A is plenty for a bedroom and when the kids don't get off the consoles you can switch off the mains to their bedroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha! i never looked at it that way - No more fortnight for my son if i had this wiring arrangement

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Each type of circuit has its merits, whatever suits the need of the installation and the client.

Pete999

-
Arms
Take it you do 4mm Radials?
Not any more Sparky 10, as I have been retired for a few years, but to answer your question, yes I did, but always in conjunction with the restraints and the advice in Appendix 15 BS7671, floor area etc.
I also ran 6mm radials whilst working in Canada @110Volts using MK 110V socket outlets, had nil trouble with connecting them up either. Just saying.

Reply to Radials V Ring mains in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom