Discuss Radio telemeter help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi this is a long shot but was hoping to find some help if possible i moved into a new house and its just burning money the strange thing is my house isn't that far from where i used to live, it has storage heaters and so did my last house but this one is just eating power i went through £70 in a week with my 3 heaters on at night only half way.

I had sse out the guy popped his head in the cupboard took one look and said it was fine didn't lay one finger on it he said you have storage heaters and they are expensive to run.

I have attached a photo of my meter all it has ever shown is the time and date nothing else well apart from that no load that never goes away my question is shouldn't there be some reading on this or some indication what i am using on the lower rate.

Any help on this would be great as i have a 3 week old baby and i cant afford to keep chucking £70 a week at it.

meter problem.jpg

welcome to the forum ,thought about getting gas central heating in
or buying some candles to save a few bob. the end of the day you have to burn some electricity , try and ask for a smart meter.

If you can post a picture of your consumer unit (or units) and the rest of the installation at the origin, it may help with getting more useful responses.

There are a number of factors which may affect the cost difference between the two properties you have mentioned. First off check what tariff you are on. I presume the meter you have shown is a dual meter and is capable of metering off peak as well as normal supply. The settings on your storage heaters may be higher so check the settings and also make sure there is no boost on during the day. Compare your previous bills cost per unit and your new bill to ensure you are on a competitive tariff. Also use online tariff checking engines to ensure you do get the best tariff.

The picture shows a switch.
It'll either say No load as pic. or when ON overnight it'll probably show LOAD.

You will have a meter nearby, that'll have the unit readings.
If it's a digi meter you'll have to use the button the scroll through the displsy, (you can't do any damage)

You need to record the meter readings for both tariffs on a weekly basis ............... then you'll get an idea of the actual consumption .... £70 sounds a lot, but if you have storage heaters then this may be the reality.

How was your old property heated?

Hi. I hope you finally found out what the problem was. We currently have a nightmare situation where my mother's bill has shot up to over £280 a month from around £90 a month, 2 years ago. She's on the E10 tariff and has an older version of the Horsmann meter. An electrician has said that the storage heaters are wired correctly, and EDF have just confirmed that the consumption is correct. Oddly, it's the Day rate that is excessively high, even though the heater is meant to be using the night rate most of the time. A Creda engineer has checked the storage heater and says that it's ok. The meter is rubbish - I can't find a way of displaying the instantaneous load - if I could, then I could experiment with switching things off and on to identify the problem.

Hi this is a long shot but was hoping to find some help if possible i moved into a new house and its just burning money the strange thing is my house isn't that far from where i used to live, it has storage heaters and so did my last house but this one is just eating power i went through £70 in a week with my 3 heaters on at night only half way.

I had sse out the guy popped his head in the cupboard took one look and said it was fine didn't lay one finger on it he said you have storage heaters and they are expensive to run.

I have attached a photo of my meter all it has ever shown is the time and date nothing else well apart from that no load that never goes away my question is shouldn't there be some reading on this or some indication what i am using on the lower rate.

Any help on this would be great as i have a 3 week old baby and i cant afford to keep chucking £70 a week at it.

View attachment 44502

Thanks for the suggestion. The main storage heater has an electronic timer with the times set to match the E10 times, but it's given me an idea to get rid of the afternoon boost and just get it to come on during the night when I can be certain that it's on the night rate.

I live on an island and folks spending £100+ per week in the winter months on storage heaters is nothing usually. :(

A lot of folks have converted to over to oil central heating (as no gas on island) and this has reduced their costs to approx. £50 per week on heating (fluctuates based on cost of heating oil). BTW I'm currently on oil heating.

A few have made the jump to air-source, and bills are around £20 per week on heating - but this has required significant investment £15K+.

When our first son was born many moons ago, we only had a open fire, so kept baby well wrapped up..went to bed with hat and gloves on. This was year when temps dropped outside to -20C. brrrr...

Personally I would focus on just keeping one room warm, to help manage costs until such time you are in a position to better insulate and upgraded your heating system. May qualify y for grants for this depending on your location and circumstances.

The E10 tariff is quite confusing, there are no smart meters available, and makes it difficult (virtually impossible) to switch suppliers, so in the short term, I'll get my mother changed over to E7 and get the storage heater wired to use the single supply.

Reply to Radio telemeter help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net