Discuss Random voltage/Power loss in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shorne

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a new member to this and was wondering if anyone can help.

We have a client at a pub that randomly loses power to several circuits for about 2 seconds, then comes back on. We are trying to establish whether the problem is coming from the incoming supply or a sub circuit. The electrical suppliers are saying that the problem is not on the incoming supply , is there any tests I can do to establish why and where they are having this?

Thanks

first your visual tests. check all terminations applicable to the suspect circuit/s. then it's logical sequence of dead testing followed by live testing, as in the book/s.

The problem is that it's not just one final circuit that loses power, its several and its random.

Also the problem is coming from 2 separate fuseboards. We have done visual checks. We originally found one fuseboard had internal busbar damage which we have since replaced but the problem still persists.

It's so random that they could go days without anything happening.

The problem is that it's not just one final circuit that loses power, its several and its random.

Also the problem is coming from 2 separate fuseboards. We have done visual checks. We originally found one fuseboard had internal busbar damage which we have since replaced but the problem still persists.

Is it just random circuits or a whole Dis board that drops out ?.

I think the clue is "at a pub" - pubs are notorious for carp electrical installations..... best get some more facts..... but the basic checks on live and neutral connections would make sense........

If the faults are that random then a voltage logger won't do much good, what circuits would you connect to ?

As Murdoch said, pub wiring is notorious. Especially if a brewery in house job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of putting voltage logger at main incomer i.e supply side of main switch to see if any issues at source. Asked UKPN to come out to set this up but that could be other side of Christmas

Sorry just re read this, are you saying that after changing 1 board the problems still exist on that board ?

I'm thinking of putting voltage logger at main incomer i.e supply side of main switch to see if any issues at source. Asked UKPN to come out to set this up but that could be other side of Christmas

Sorry mate: Maybe I'm getting dense with age, but how would that help ? If it was a supply problem then all circuits on that board would drop out not one or two random circuits.

Reply to Random voltage/Power loss in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net