Discuss Range cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lost-sole

Came across this problem at weekend brandnew range installed 40amp mcb on RCD side of split load board. Cooker isolator is 2 gang with socket out let. The rcd trips when ovens are on I know the reasons but was wandering how you go on with regs as all i could do was move mcb over to none rcd side of board so now you have a socket in a kitchen thats not got rcd protection do I

1. change cooker isolator to one gang without socket, don't think owner would be too happy as it would require backbox to be moved and some more tiling.

2. label socket outlet warning notice etc

3. Become a joiner!!!

as i remember you can supply a fixed piece of equipment from the non rcd side, and can you not label the socket as a non rcd protected socket??

as spark doctor says, im also unaware of common reasons for cookers tripping rcd's

it is a beast 3 ovens, i mean i had all 3 switched on so it must be the eliments doing it. as regarding supplying fixed equipment from non rcd side not sure if this is right on this occasion as portable equipment can be plugged into the socket outlet and trust me this guy is a solicitor and no common sense so you can bet your life he'll plug a garden chainsaw into it and chop through the cable or something

it is a beast 3 ovens, i mean i had all 3 switched on so it must be the eliments doing it. as regarding supplying fixed equipment from non rcd side not sure if this is right on this occasion as portable equipment can be plugged into the socket outlet and trust me this guy is a solicitor and no common sense so you can bet your life he'll plug a garden chainsaw into it and chop through the cable or something

have you done an IR test on it?

i suppose techincally you could label it for one item of equipment, but what? "Kettle only", "electric can opener only"

Difficult one, i would be more tempted to try and sort out the problem, it shouldnt be tripping an RCD

hi, was called out to a sim fault.. customer said mfi had fitted the kitchen and oven and when the oven was switched on it would trip the rcd.

Found the oven wired in at the consumer unit on a 32A mcb on the rcd side but the nuetral was connected on the non rcd side! which would cause the rcd to trip when current would flow..

hope that helps? worth a look, easly done ;)

hi, was called out to a sim fault.. customer said mfi had fitted the kitchen and oven and when the oven was switched on it would trip the rcd.

Found the oven wired in at the consumer unit on a 32A mcb on the rcd side but the nuetral was connected on the non rcd side! which would cause the rcd to trip when current would flow..

hope that helps? worth a look, easly done ;)

Have had the exact same thing about 4 weeks ago. DIYer.

My experience with this kind of problem is new cookers, ovens, if they have been in storage before being bought, or stored in a garage when bought, is that they sometimes get a build up of moisture inside.

Personally, i would move to non rcd for a few days, then go back and swap back.

If the fault still occurs the they will have to contact the supplier for an engineer to come out and check it over, as its still under warranty.

yes I agree Iam back there on Sat so Iam going to call him tonight and give the feedback from here thanks guys Iam quite newly qualified so still learning and also try my hardest to keep within regs but as you guys know not always easy, passed my 2391 practical recently but frumped the written exam looking at trying that again as my new job may depend on it so any advice or tips would be welcome

If the RCD only trips when this appliance is energised then it is a faulty appliance. Ther must be a L/PE or a N/PE fault or this is the only appliance on the RCD and it is a faulty RCD. Maybe there is excess condensation somewhere but this should not happen in an appliance that is going to be subjected to extremes of temp or am I missing something, like elementary spelling (ther)

Came across this problem at weekend brandnew range installed 40amp mcb on RCD side of split load board. Cooker isolator is 2 gang with socket out let. The rcd trips when ovens are on I know the reasons but was wandering how you go on with regs as all i could do was move mcb over to none rcd side of board so now you have a socket in a kitchen thats not got rcd protection do I

1. change cooker isolator to one gang without socket, don't think owner would be too happy as it would require backbox to be moved and some more tiling.

2. label socket outlet warning notice etc

3. Become a joiner!!!

Sounds like a faulty element, if all is ok when power is on the oven but nothing is switched on but soon as switch on the oven and the element heats ups the it is going to earth as insulation is breaking down thus causing element to trip RCD. When you test it later when cool it will seem as if the is no problem.

You will need to be there when oven is switched on and when it trips the RCD you will need to give it an insulation test straight away before it has time to cool down and fault dissappears.

I agree with MS&Electrical. Neutral in cons unit probably in wrong phase (neutral) bar. Have you sorted it lost-sole?

i recon the prob could be a bad circuit on ur rcd which will work fine until u put a large load (like a cooker) on it and then it breaks down. try connecting the cooker to the rcbo for the shower tempororarily and see if this solves the problem

Reply to Range cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock