Discuss Range Oven Isolator Position Deemed Code 1 on a PIR ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

baldsparkies

Have been asked to provide an honest opinion on this one.
A Range oven has a 45 amp double pole isolation switch fitted into the wall behind it.
Access is via a storage cupboard which is a built in part of the range with an open back.
So, you open the door, reach in side, and turn it off.
Ok so,
1 The isolator is within two meters.
2 Its mounted within the fabric of the building,(The back wall) and not on a kitchen unit.
3 It was easy to access, although I would say not readily visible. (And that would be my only point of issue, and thats with my Mr fussy head on)
So at very worse, a code 4 imho. Or maybe list it as a departure with a location label on view. ie, werz the isolator? its in yer.:D
Anyway, the jobs been signed off by the guys who installed it Kitchen fitters. And from what I can see its a nice job all round cu is 17th spec.
I commented to the homeowner that he should point out to the guy doing the pir that a code 1 was not justifiable and explained why.
What opinions would you have on this guys and girls. Would be interested in your opinions.
Oh by the way,
The guy doing the pir is a service engineer, who reckons the isolator wasnt accessible, cant agree though cus I reached it with ease, I was resting on my zimmer frame though :D:eek:

no code! IMO

code 4 is not to current standards 7671:2008 etc

as stated you can get to it, its not hidden and not going to get damaged /already is damaged

Are you saying that you have to open a door on the range and reach through it to get to the isol which is directly behind the unit?

Are you saying that you have to open a door on the range and reach through it to get to the isol which is directly behind the unit?

Exactly right PC, I would say its accessible, but not readily visible, but thats me, and I know its a debatable situation open to interpretation and opinion.As Durham says he wouldn't code it and I can see thats fair. But to give this a code 1 is not correct and on that point I would argue.

I'd say code 2 then.

If there's a problem with the range which requires isolation then one should be able to get at the isolator without having to touch the range itself (what if the casing is live?).

I'd say code 2 then.

If there's a problem with the range which requires isolation then one should be able to get at the isolator without having to touch the range itself (what if the casing is live?).

Its on a rcbo at the c/u, Also youcould say the same about an immersion heater isolator in an airing cudboard. How many time have those been hidden way back behind shelves ect and stacked full of towels underwear and sometimes even worse. To be fair the isolation switch is for servicing.
In the event of a live fault overcurrent or earth leakage devices should kick in under ADS (Automatic Disconnection of Supply) I would say a code 2 would also be over the top mate to be fair.

i would never code 2 this, it can only be a 4 [not in plain view] . i think the first post was correct its not A1 but it certainly presents no real danger

As PC states quite rightly above, if this isolation switch is within the confines of the range itself, ....it Shouldn't Be!!! Don't care if it is RCD protected, they can fail, and often DO!!! Apart from all that, a means of emergency isolation should be in plain view, and not enclosed in any cabinet, or behind any closed doors.

Don't have a clue as to what code is which, as i don't use them, what i AM saying, is that the location of that range cooker isolater is Wrong!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
As PC states quite rightly above, if this isolation switch is within the confines of the range itself, ....it Shouldn't Be!!! Don't care if it is RCD protected, they can fail, and often DO!!! Apart from all that, a means of emergency isolation should be in plain view, and not enclosed in any cabinet, or behind any closed doors.

Don't have a clue as to what code is which, as i don't use them, what i AM saying, is that the location of that range cooker isolater is Wrong!!!

Its not a lathe or a bench saw in a commercial premises. That would require emergency isolation and I would agree.
This is a range oven in a domestic kitchen. The local isolation is for servicing purposes, not emergency shutdown. I feel this is where the confusion comes into play. Its all about the regs and I would go for BS7671 clarifying as to what and what not local isolation is for and the purpose it intends to serve within the merits of the installation and its enviroment.
If asked to supply Emergency isolation I would be going for a big red mushroom, within arms reach of the appliance, clearly visible, and operated by a contactor with manual reset to prevent accidental re energising of the circuit.
A range double pole isolator would not in my opinion be used for anything other than servicing. Like I said its all open to interpritation and you can see how varied and different the views are on this.
One other point, should the range become live, I would deem an rcd a far better means of isolation than a double pole switch, which would need to be physicaly turned off.
Can you imagine a situation where someone is cooking on the range, only to find themselves receiving a fatal electric shock. And relying on the isolator to disconnect the supply ?? utter nonsense of course.
A good solid earth fault return path along with suitable over current device and yes additional protection by means of a 30ma RCD for and i say again automatic disconnection of the supply would be the real world way forward.
Once the appliance has been deemed faulty by the above method then along comes your service engineer to repair it. Hello local isolation.

Sorry, ....but in all my years in this industry, the means of local isolation, be it for emergency or otherwise, Must be in plain view, and readily accessable, and Never concealed behind a closed door of any kind!!! Now having that means of electrical isolation behind a metal door that is part of the appliance it will be isolating, is a nonsense!!!

It seems here, that many are trying to say it's OK to hide, or that it doesn't really matter the local means of isolation is not readily accessible. Well surprise surprise, it does matter and is important!!

Watering down Regulations and good working practice's that have been in place longer than most of you have been alive, just to suit yourself or a situation as it arises, isn't going to cut it!!!

And if commonsense doesn't show you that, then god help the future of this industry...

just about to fit a rang cooker tomorrow and unable to fit a pleasing 2pole switch above bench height!

its going in the unit next to the cooker at customer request!

Is the location of the isolator accessible YES had no problem getting to it.
Is it part of the appliance NO its fitted to the block work plastered wall in the service void at the back of the appliance. The back of the appliance is open and once the range door to that compartment is opened the isolator is visible and easy to get to.
Is the local isolation for emergency shut down NO its not.
Is it for maintenance use YES it is.
What if any regulation would this be a departure from. (Not in plain site nothing more.)
Would I expect the home owner to ruin a brand new kitchen fit out along with his tiles, to re locate an isolator above the worktop, instead of where it sits at the moment NO I would not.
Forty years in the industry, common sense prevailing, and Thank God managed to avoid becoming a jobs worth.

sorry id be at least code 2 for that. all this open compartment to find isolator nonsense, in the event of a fire i dont want to look behind appliance or have to open doors. sorry code 1 or 2. prob 2, which is still a fail.

if i had a fire on my cooker the last thing i would be looking for is the switch!!

think the old dog and bone would be out and 999 pressed before i though about turning that off!

any way it will trip off when fire service throw gallons of water on it!

You can make all the excuses you can think of or dream up, to make this situation seem acceptable, your only fooling yourselves, and the gullible, ..no-one else!!!

Commonsense, ...huh , that's got to be a laugh!! ...Right??

sorry id be at least code 2 for that. all this open compartment to find isolator nonsense, in the event of a fire i dont want to look behind appliance or have to open doors. sorry code 1 or 2. prob 2, which is still a fail.

In the event of a FIRE ????? The isolator has to be within 2 meters of the appliance anyways. Whats your skin made of ? asbestos. As said 999. and throw your cu mainswitch on the way out.
PS The above comment regarding asbestos are said in jest and with tongue in cheek so please dont take offence non is meant.

Reply to Range Oven Isolator Position Deemed Code 1 on a PIR ??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock