Discuss Range Rover L322 Webasto heater GSM switch help please. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Badger boy

Hi everyone,

In the rear of the RR is the plug which connects to a remote controlled unit a telestart t90 switch box of some kind, a telestart t91 fob is required to operate the unit. These fobs are a fortune on ebay as it has to be the earlier type which are quite hard to find, one went the other day for £130 for the fob alone. For both bits of kit it could be between £150.00 to £200.00
It is basically 3 wires in the back of the vehicle as follows which would plug in to the remote unit

live feed
earth
relay on (supply out)

I have a GSM relay (£17.00 Ebay) which i have already set up on my workbench, I have tested with the sms messages and I can switch on the relay for 30 mins etc which will communicate with the heater to run. The heater is setup within the vehicles ECU to run for a maximum of 30 mins to save starting power for the main battery.

As the GSM relay is permanently live it draws approx 50 to 100 mah all the time, I wanted to install a small 9ah battery I have which will power the gsm relay at all times. My RR battery is 950ah and I know you may think this would run the gsm unit for approx 5 months anyway before flattening the battery.
The RR electrics are such a pain in the bum if it doesn't have a fully charged battery, EAS suspension lights etc, ABS braking lights. hence my reason for the additional small battery. I only travel for a maximum of 15 mins each way to work.

I do not want the small battery to assist the large battery when the vehicle is starting though so the use of a diode i think, and I would like the vehicles electric to supply a controlled supply of power to the small battery to sort of trickle charge it at say 1-2amps when the vehicle is running and not at the full power available from the alternator which is rated up to 150amps I think.

is there such a single component that can deliver one way and trickle charge or a ready made component available that I am unaware of.

I hope that makes sense, I have a made a diagram as well which may not contain the correct technical terms but hope it helps. The drawing does not show any fuses however these will be included when I install the relay.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you may be able to offer.

David

Attachments

• Range Rover L322 Webasto heater GSM switch help please. gsm relay - EletriciansForums.net
    gsm relay.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 4
If you have a socket outlet nearby you can connect a battery charger, such as an Optimate, to supply and maintain your battery whilst parked up. This can either be connected directly to your battery or through towing electrics. I use a CTEK MSX 5.0 on my Discovery.

If you have a socket outlet nearby you can connect a battery charger, such as an Optimate, to supply and maintain your battery whilst parked up. This can either be connected directly to your battery or through towing electrics. I use a CTEK MSX 5.0 on my Discovery.

I've got the same charger which I use mainly on the bike, but sometimes on the car. That's a good idea using the tow bar socket to connect it. Do trailer sockets have a permanent live to them?

Come to think of it, I haven't got a towbar, but still an interesting idea.

On the bike I connect it via the 12v aux socket using a cigarette lighter type plug.

Hi thanks for your reply, I can not always get my car close enough to the house so a ctek charger is not an option ?

Reply to Range Rover L322 Webasto heater GSM switch help please. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock