Discuss rated people work in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

registered with rated people today and got a job within 15 mins, off there next friday to investigate tripping scoket outlets on a b32 breaker, doesnt sound like they've got an RCD but only does it when it rains, told the ladt that i cant really quote for it as i dont know what wrong, and the best i can do is say 2 hours for an inspection and test then hopefully come up with a solution to the problem.

I told the lady that if i need to replace or add any cables then they would have to comply with the 17th edition during installation

i dont know what the main bonding is like and will check it when i get there, question is tho, ive got into the habit of doing work, finding bonding is poo and doing that as well on a couple of jobs now!! (sorry!)
but if im just fault finding then do i need the bonding to be ok before starting this "work"

RatedPeople is a useful site for finding work, but there are some "cons" - as I have discovered since I registered with them:
- You pay a fee to take the work. A lot of the fees are £13 (iVAT). Some "customers" post work, then never respond - a wasted £13.
- I make a point of agreeing to make an assessment visit for free then giving a full quote. Fitting a class 1 light fitting can turn quite expensive if there is no earth on the lighting circuit. Also a lot of houses have unacceptable earthing and bonding.
- A lot of customers want "something for next to nothing." You will already have paid the fee to get their phone number - then discover their cost expectations are totally unrealistic.
Good luck - this has become a good source of income for me, but in my area (South West) there are not a lot of posts - I find it helps to phone the customer within 2 hours of their post (pay for text alerts) that nearly always secures your employment and reduces wasted fees.

Hmm, will look into this. I am in South West too and if it is quiet it may be a good time to get in on it!

yeah lol! the customers on rated people also get rated too.

got another job to look at ; rcd is tripping out and has been for some time apparently!! said enoughs enough and needs it sorting out, so im off to this friday morning :)

just a quick question if im basically testing and inspecting and the main bonding is not up to standard can i still do it?

Do you mean can you test % inspect if bonding not up to scratch? If so then yes, of course you can but you will need to put the fact it needs upgrading on your test sheet and advise client accordingly.

yeah thought so cirrus just over the last few days ive become very confused!! and if it turns out to be a dodgy socket or some other replaceable accessory causing rcd trip then can i replace these if the bonding isnt up to standard or installed at all!

Reply to rated people work in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock