Discuss Rating of lighting cable (1mm & 1.5mm) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martind

Ok, my first question(s)
What is the max current for 1mm & 1.5mm cable respectively? (I am trying to workout if there are two many lights on the same lighting circuit).

It's not as simple as "This csa cable can take this current"
Lot's of factors lower the ccc of a cable such as grouping, running in insulation, thermal effects etc.

Many installation factors need to be considered before an accurate decision is made.

What size protective device is protecting the 1.0mm t&e??

My post wasn't a direct reply to yours mate, just trying to coax a bit more info out of the OP.:Mr-T:

1.5mm is 20a, 1mm is 16a but only when clipped direct. There are, of course, as already mentioned, other factors to consider relating to the installation method. However, as lighting circuits are usually protected by a 6a protective device, there is USUALLY ample capacity to play with using either. For example, when 1mm is run in thermal insulation, the current carrying capacity is halved, but still exceeds the 6a breaking capacity of the protective device. Normally,you don't want to be exceeding 6a on a lighting circuit - you'd have to go out of your way to derate the cable below this.

You guys are really fast to respond! Thanks.
I am referring to flat twin & earth. I do not know what the term “clipped” means (but hopefully will do in a few mins.
After a brief inspection at the CU it has been observed that the lighting circuit cable has been put in to a 16 amp breaker. It was also discovered that there are 11 lights on the circuit (maybe it was tripping when in the 6amp breaker)

If I were you, and wanted piece of mind, give a local sparky a call and ask for his advice when actually looking at the CU/house electrics.

You'll get lots of opinions here but there's nothing like looking at the actual installation.

You guys are really fast to respond! Thanks.
I am referring to flat twin & earth. I do not know what the term “clipped” means (but hopefully will do in a few mins.
After a brief inspection at the CU it has been observed that the lighting circuit cable has been put in to a 16 amp breaker. It was also discovered that there are 11 lights on the circuit (maybe it was tripping when in the 6amp breaker)

That is BAD. The cable is likely to not be adequately protected. Plus, the light switches and pendants, junction boxes etc. will probably only be rated up to 6a. Get an electrician in to sort it out. Please.

agree. if, say 1.5mm cable is rated at 16A clipped direct, where there is adequate cooling, then if it is then smothered in that horrible 12" of itchy -poo, then it's rating is down by about 50% to 8A. even a 6A MCB will happily stay closed at this level of current for ever and a day, so the answer to the insulation lies in the attached pic.

Rating of lighting cable (1mm & 1.5mm) {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

For firm and accurate information (not only for this case, but also for any doubt about the proper selection of wire/cable size), you need to refer to the BS Standard as well as the manufacturer catalogues and datasheets. There are many factors affecting the "Current Carrying Capacity" of any wire/cable such as but not limited to:

1. Ambient/ground Temperatures.
  2. Type and size of conduits, cable trays, etc.
  3. Installation method.
  4. Other wires/cables in the same conduit.
  5. Earthling system.
  6. Protection scheme.

For firm and accurate information (not only for this case, but also for any doubt about the proper selection of wire/cable size), you need to refer to the BS Standard as well as the manufacturer catalogues and datasheets. There are many factors affecting the "Current Carrying Capacity" of any wire/cable such as but not limited to:

1. Ambient/ground Temperatures.
  2. Type and size of conduits, cable trays, etc.
  3. Installation method.
  4. Other wires/cables in the same conduit.
  5. Earthling system.
  6. Protection scheme.

As opposed to the extra-terrestrial system? :joker:

we all know that. just well done for hawkeye, kingeri for spotting it.

Not sure whether Earthling or Earthing, how what system you have would effect the current carrying capacity of a cable ...........................

I would suspect hes hinting on ELI results but agree with regards to this situe its going to hard to not meet required ELI in domestic even on a large house with regards to lighting regardless of the Supply type.

Reply to Rating of lighting cable (1mm & 1.5mm) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock