Discuss rating of RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

U

UK sparks

Hello guys
Ive got a transportable weather testing station that has mainly electronics in it with two racks of 13amp sockets for the computers to run on. The fuse board in the unit is part of the factory fit and has a 300 ma rcd protection the unit is based in a rural location with a TNS supply and a earth rod has been fitted. The unit is also backed up by a generator if required.
Can anyone confirm to me that the 300 ma rcd is ok as I'm sure the regs stat that it should be 30ma but cant find the reg on it.
many thanks

i'd speak to the manufacturers on this. it may be that the 300mA RCD is there mainly for fire/fault protection and they have considered leakage problems with computers and electronics.

Last edited:
The 300mA RCD is probably for fire protection only. As only trained/instructed people will ever be able to access this unit, it'll probably not need 30mA. 30mA may also be far too sensitive for all this computer related electrickery, as far as nuisance tripping in remote locations goes!! ....

Agricultural and horticultural premises require protection by 300mA rcd for fire protection as already pointed out. Sounds like this building has probably had a change of use since then.

i'd speak to the manufacturers on this. it may be that the 300mA RCD is there mainly for fire/fault protection and they have considered leakage problems with computers and electronics.
many thanks for the reply good idea I will email the manufacture and get there info thanks UK sparks

Reply to rating of RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net