Discuss RCBO 5In trip times. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've admitted I was wrong, but I erred on the side of caution. I would rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough. Still thanks to this thread I will shave many minutes off my testing

I've admitted I was wrong, but I erred on the side of caution. I would rather be overly cautious than not cautious enough. Still thanks to this thread I will shave many minutes off my testing

It's always better to double-check if you're not sure mate. There is actually nothing wrong with testing the RCD/RCBO at the end of a circuit, just as long as there are no loads connected which (as you discovered) can give strange readings. In fact, it's easier to use the plug-in adaptor on the MFT to test the RFC RCD's at a nearby socket before plugging all the equipment back in, than it is to do so at the CU. :)

Hmmm...rcd tests at the CU only eh?...shweet that'll save some testing time from now on.

Like crosswire i always tested at the end of each circuit but gonna change me ways now after reading through this.

For all those who gave this old dog a new trick you can share in the left over Coffee/Orange Revels from this big bag......mainly cos i hates them.

No probs with asking jimmy lol.
The rcd manufacturers recommend testing of the devices in this way for a start.
Plus the test is just to acertain the trip time of the rcd , so theres no need for any other part of circuit to be connected.
And finally , electronic gizmo's can interfere with the readings , as shown by ste macs query.

Biff has hit the nail on the head with this one. The manufacturers instructions always take precedence over any other guidance, whether that is for installation, testing or whatever.

Cheers..............Howard

So you had the info all along and didnt bother to follow it ????

Then you claim my explainations were unclear in a completely ungrateful manner after i spent over an hour on the thread ???

Now youre still reluctant to do the testing as advised even though its alot quicker and easier just because you dont understand the science behind it ???

You're just all over the place to be honest.

Biff your tall on knowledge and frankly short on manners, and this is exactly what ****es people off, you clearly are an educated spark so WTF do you need to antagonise people ?..You have the knowledge base so use it to educate matey. I dunno if you get a kick out the wind up..but it's not an attractive trait, I say again you are clearly talented, so wind your neck in and see what is in front of you
J

Biff your tall on knowledge and frankly short on manners, and this is exactly what ****es people off, you clearly are an educated spark so WTF do you need to antagonise people ?..You have the knowledge base so use it to educate matey. I dunno if you get a kick out the wind up..but it's not an attractive trait, I say again you are clearly talented, so wind your neck in and see what is in front of you
J

Well i was polite enough for the first 2 hours of that thread , and crossfire was hardly a picture of courtesy and would have tried the patience of a saint.
Go and wind youre own neck in.

I always thought an RCD/RCBO had to be tested out in the field. Thanks for the info!

I suppose it is very logical. An RCD trip time test is purely to test the function of the device, not the wiring.

Just installing a new consumer unit for a customer. Split load board with 1 half RCD & the other half RCBO's. RCD & all but 1 RCBO has had good trip times, all sub 40ms at 1In & 5In, but the 6A RCBO for the kitchen lighting circuit is tripping at 40.8ms & 40.7ms at 5In. If I disconnect the outgoing live & retest the the trip times are 18.5 & 17.2. Anyone shed any light as to why this is happening & is it acceptable to test the RCBO without the outgoing ways connected?
and just a reminder..
In is fuses & breakers

I delta n is RCDs....

i test RCDs by plugging in at a convenient socket. why? because it's easier. however, if i get unacceptable results, i'll then test at CU with circuit disconnected. on a new install. i'd test at CU before connecting circuits. all down to whatever takes the least time.

i test RCDs by plugging in at a convenient socket. why? because it's easier. however, if i get unacceptable results, i'll then test at CU with circuit disconnected. on a new install. i'd test at CU before connecting circuits. all down to whatever takes the least time.
wrong...
its the highest values recorded...
i`m surprised at you Tel...i really am....:nonod:

Reply to RCBO 5In trip times. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net