Discuss RCBO for old Square D distribution board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

soms

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi,
A relative has moved into a flat with a mid-80's Square D QO1 12F distribution board, which has MCBs on all outgoing ways.

There are proposals to update the kitchen with a desire for some additional socket outlets. To meet the requirements of Part P and by extension, BS 7671, RCD protection will be required and the simplest way to implement this would be to find a way of providing it for the entire ring final circuit supplying the socket outlets.

My thinking is to install a 32 A RCBO in place of the original MCB, if I can get something electrically compatible with the DB.
I removed an existing MCB (though a later addition itself) to see what fits in this board, and it is the 'clip' type bus bar connection.

I have seen some 'clip' type Square D and Schneider Electric RCBOs for sale on eBay, but just wanted an opinion as to whether there is anything else I should be aware of in terms of product compability before committing to buy something?

The installation has a TN earthing system (the supply to the DB coming from a separate meter room), I haven't measured the Zs on the circuit but of course should bear this in mind as in some cases B type breakers are not easy to get whereas C types are.

Pics attached.
Thanks.

RCBO for old Square D distribution board Square_D_B40_MCB - EletriciansForums.net

RCBO for old Square D distribution board Square_D_QO1_12F_DB - EletriciansForums.net

Schneider do protective devices that fit in old boards we had a 3 phase old D.B. with MCB's same as those that had to be de-rated to 20A. On Monday give their technical department a call give them all the info of existing inc protective devices. Not sure of the cost as non-stocked items at wholesalers like this usually aren't heavily discounted.

The protective devices at that board are BS3871 type 4 code No. QOH-X. These have never been recognised by any version of the wiring regulations but this does not mean they are not suitable to provide suitable circuit protection however, type 4 devices are not considered suitable for the protection of general socket outlets and in modern terms for any circuit in a domestic premises. Schneider who took over Square D have to their credit produced compatible devices and for a type B 32A rcbo you require part no. QO132B1ORCBO30F.

The protective devices at that board are BS3871 type 4 code No. QOH-X. These have never been recognised by any version of the wiring regulations but this does not mean they are not suitable to provide suitable circuit protection however, type 4 devices are not considered suitable for the protection of general socket outlets and in modern terms for any circuit in a domestic premises. Schneider who took over Square D have to their credit produced compatible devices and for a type B 32A rcbo you require part no. QO132B1ORCBO30F.
I am liking schneider more and more of late, the stuff they make via the many brands in the stable are pretty well made, not too pricey and the tech team are on the ball. Schneider are now my go to instead of Hager.

That’s a proper main switch on that board mind, kerlunk - power on!

They are fantastic prices for them, there was a point we were paying up to £100 plus VAT for them from Edmunsons. Alot of schools have these boards in and we used to always find a few they didnt meet disconnection times. Schneider still make the RCBOs to fit.

fit a stand alone RCD alongside the DB. feed from existing MCB and N, with 6.0mm, then on to RFC. ( divert the RFC legs from MCB to RCD.).

Schneider do protective devices that fit in old boards we had a 3 phase old D.B. with MCB's same as those that had to be de-rated to 20A. On Monday give their technical department a call give them all the info of existing inc protective devices. Not sure of the cost as non-stocked items at wholesalers like this usually aren't heavily discounted.

Thanks for the advice, it is nice to know you can actually make contact with a manufacturer and get sense from them if required.

@westward10 thank you for this information, that is very useful to know.
Thanks for quoting the correct part number, I have had a quick look online and they seem expensive to purchase, which is understandable.

fit a stand alone RCD alongside the DB. feed from existing MCB and N, with 6.0mm, then on to RFC. ( divert the RFC legs from MCB to RCD.).

@telectrix that is a good idea which had not occurred to me, it would be a cheaper way to get around it and there is plenty of room below the board to do it.

Given what @westward10 said, do you think I should be concerned about the existing MCB with respect to meeting the disconnection times, which is for fault protection (using ADS) if I recall? I am away from home so do not have my books to hand to check on what can be considered to be provided by the RCD, which otherwise is offering additional protection. I am now a third year apprentice so the details of BS 7671 are not fully committed to memory yet. To be made a little more complicated to commit with the upcoming switch to the 18th Edition.

Thank you for all the useful input :)

Maximum Zs values for Type 4 devices have never been quoted in the Regulations so you have to refer to manufacturers figures. Type 4 devices unlike other circuit breakers used 0.4 and 5 sec disconnection times, so 0.4 for socket outlets and 5 sec for fixed equipment.

It may get to a point that if any further additions/work is carried out and requires RCD/RCBO protection a new consumer unit would be cheaper in the long run if the prices are too high eg a BG 5 +5 split £73 inc VAT.

Replacement is another option, but it would a fair job, as there are also off-peak circuits so would require two new consumer units.

RCBO for old Square D distribution board Square_D_QO1_12F_DB_2 - EletriciansForums.net

I cant see how ---- arsing around putting an rcd inline below the board is gonna work out cheaper than the £65.28 that a correct new rcbo is?

I cant see how **** arsing around putting an rcd inline below the board is gonna work out cheaper than the £65.28 that a correct new rcbo is?

That is probably true. They won't grudge spending the money, I told them something should be done before any alterations are made.

I will just buy one.

Thank you all for helping me bat some ideas around and pointing me to a suitable retrofit item.

I replaced the circuit breaker with the new RCBO last night.
I tested the circuit Riso, Zs, and the RCD trip times.

Riso live conductors to earth was under 1 Mohm so needs some further investigation, but not at 8.30 in the evening.
Zs 0.77 ohms.

The RCD trip times are not meeting the requirements for additional protection.

I repeated the test three times using a Fluke MFT, the meter was set for the correct characteristics - type AC, 30 mA.

x1 - 49.4 ms and 76.5 ms - less than 300 ms so acceptable.
x5 - 41.6 ms (180 deg.) and greater than 50 ms (0 deg.) - neither are acceptable readings for providing additional protection as over 40 ms.

A quick Internet search did not reveal what the operating times should be for the BS EN 61009-1 product standard (if any different to those quoted to meet the requirements in BS 7671).

I am considering contacting the supplier to ask about a replacement RCBO as I am not entirely happy with it, but I first I wanted to try and find out whether the product is working as it should or not, hence the question about the product standard requirements versus BS 7671.

Last edited:

Reply to RCBO for old Square D distribution board in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock