Discuss RCBO functional earth wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Zdb

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys, so the situation is this... I've been asked to replace some MCBs with RCBOs as they're for ring-mains/socket outlets. The white functional earth lead on the RCBO isn't long enough to reach the earthing terminal. If I use the exact same cable type/size can i extend this so it will reach?

Thanks

Not necessarily the manufacturer I know Hagar have different lengths for either triple pole or single pole boards.

It was hager, and it was a 3phase board with L1, L2 and L3 all linked out so effectively being used as a single phase board. If it was an actual single phase board it would have reached.

It was hager, and it was a 3phase board with L1, L2 and L3 all linked out so effectively being used as a single phase board. If it was an actual single phase board it would have reached.

Sounds like you may have the wrong rcbo then, although it wouldn't surprise me if hager were producing crap like this

Sounds like you may have the wrong rcbo then, although it wouldn't surprise me if hager were producing crap like this

He has almost without doubt bought the 'ADN' rcbo rather than the 'ADB' which has 10kA rating and longer neutral and functional earth leads.

I'm slightly surprised by your last comment. I find Hager to be by far the best consumer units these days. Although if we're talking 3 phase DB's I haven't used so many different brands. What do you like to use Dave?

I thought this thread must have been referring to a three phase board as every RCBO I've ever fitted in a domestic board comes with a ridiculously long neutral and functional earth tail. usually have to shorten them to avoid it looking atrocious.

He has almost without doubt bought the 'ADN' rcbo rather than the 'ADB' which has 10kA rating and longer neutral and functional earth leads.

I'm slightly surprised by your last comment. I find Hager to be by far the best consumer units these days. Although if we're talking 3 phase DB's I haven't used so many different brands. What do you like to use Dave?

I use Schneider acti9 (was Merlin Gerin), prior to that I used MEM until the memshield 3 came along and turned to crap.
I can't remember the last time I fitted a consumer unit, I avoid domestic as thee just isn't the money in it.

I'm not really a fan of the Hager 3ph boards, little wiring room and very flimsy enclosures. Though to be fair none of the currently available 3ph DBs are all that good. The Memshield 2 boards are probably my favourite, good design. I'll happily fit the memshield 3 though. The last range of merlin boards were excellent, it's a shame Schneider have now turned them to ----, all those bloody layers of earth terminals, stupid design!

RCBO's have been linked to being the dog's whatsits, but for the customer (savvy ones), when it does have to trip, they don't know whether its an earth fault, or overload or overcurrent. I seem to recall, some early RCBO's had a half one position for one or t'other?

These days, surely it would be that had for the manufactures to come up with a device to indicate the specific fault, or have we got to wait for the 19th Edition for that :)

Reply to RCBO functional earth wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net