Domestic Rcbo, more info

Discuss Rcbo, more info in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seank

Hi all, sorry had probs submitting a post. Ok here we go, have replaced CU and put in RCBO's 6a 32a 40a. all wired in, RCBO cpc fly lead to designated bar, N to its bar. L & N out, correctly wired into RCBO and cpc to earth bar. supply polarity correct. bus bar is solid not flexy. Energised circuits no probs. pressed test button Flash bang on three buzz and fizzl on forth. now MCB side of things work but no operation of RCD. IR test done with RCBO leads and out E L N disconnected. RCBO is a B type WYlex
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
barring any obvious cock-ups on your part, it looks like electrium have struck again.

OP
S

Seank

Is it common for ELECTRIUM products to go like this, I cant think of anything that I might have done. I am fully qualified but have only a little experience. What should i do?

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
if possible, get a mate ( a sparks, obviously) to give a 2nd opinion. perhaps try a different make to temp.replace 1 of them. if he agrees that they're duuff, return RCBOs to suppliers and get replacements.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Have the same questions as the others however I don't use wylex that offen but the last time i did i was changing tenanted flatlets/bedsits with new boards and used wylex 5way cu's with rcbo's due to the board sizes were the smallest i could find with dimentions, anyway out of 5 cu's two of the 6amp rcbo's self destucted on pressing the test button and i mean blew up with scorch marks up the side and out the top where the earth flylead comes out. took them back and replaced no problem. This was just after the wylex recall i may add. never been a lover of wylex and always used hager since then so can't say I have had it happen again so don't know if a bad batch or what as wholesaler never gave me any info after. Don't know if this is relavent to your problem but for so many together to go like that and of different sizes would suggest a major problem which should most definately need investigating, think of the concequences if this fault left no OCD/earth leakage protection after you had gone.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
well, that looks like a result. problem has occurred before.

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
well, that looks like a result. problem has occurred before.
This was some time ago though tel, so don't know if still relevant but OP does not state where the rcbo's were obtained as I'm sure there must still be duff old stock or even fake stuff floating about. Bet ebay is full of it.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
after the electrium MCB scare, i'm sure suppliers have got old stock gathering dust. probably a bad batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 99 72.3%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.