Discuss RCBO not restting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkside1

Hi all

Have a problem with a Wylex 32A Type C RCBO that has tripped to a utility room and heating plant room to a west London mid terraced house.
It will not reset even with all loads removed. I tried swapping the line and neutral conductors to an adjacent same rated RCBO and the same happened. I tested the ring between L-N at the utility sockets and incoming spur to the plant room and was 0.42 ohms. I only had time for a quick look on xmas eve and will return on Monday to carry out further tests. But not having had many issues with RCBO's I need some advice on how to test these devices properly and what the possible causes could be. There is no history on this fault as the property is vacant and the problem miraculously appeared!

Cheers

What were the test results for 1x and 5x tests on the RCBO?

Althogh it sounds like you have a faulty circuit. How did you "remove all loads" before attempting to reset it?

List your tests and results... not sure what you have been testing for so far...

Do you understand the theory behind rcbo's tripping - this is your first step to fault finding on them and doing the correct sequence of tests.
Have you performed any insulations checks to earth?
You say all the loads removed ....are you sure??? Sw/f spurs isolated etc etc.

We are happy to help but please help us and show you have carried out the correct testing procedures and give results then we can see any irregularities and advice thus.

first thing is to prove the RCBO. will it reset with the outgoing cables dissed? if so, then test it on x1 and x5 and ramp it. then test your circuit. the RCBO could be tripping on overload as opposed to leakage.

What were the test results for 1x and 5x tests on the RCBO?

Althogh it sounds like you have a faulty circuit. How did you "remove all loads" before attempting to reset it?

I assume if it won't reset then he won't be able to do any live tests...:tree: unless you of course mean disconnection of the circuit....Im unsure the OP has done half the testing required to resolve this.

I assume if it won't reset then he won't be able to do any live tests...:tree:

Then it must be a faulty RCBO as the OP has alread stated he has tested the ring between L-N and got a reading of 0.42 although I am unsure exactly what they have tested.

if he's got 0.42 ohms across L and N that's 540A. no wonder it's tripping.

Then it must be a faulty RCBO as the OP has alread stated he has tested the ring between L-N and got a reading of 0.42 although I am unsure exactly what they have tested.
Yep edited my last comment ...OP is very vague and what is 0.42ohms if he cannot power the circuit then assume he's measuring resistance of the possible ring... again a bit of a disjointed opening posts that leads to more questions then answers.... think OP needs to reply first on this one.

Sounds loke another one of those that goes in, is unsure what to do so thinks the internet will reslove it for them.

It sounds like he has a short on the circuit (0.42 L-N).

If he's measuring O.42 L-N then this is not a short circuit par se' , any inductive device may give a false reading like say a motor or choke which can look like a fault, so until we have a response from the OP we are all just taking pot shots here.

We need to know clearly what steps he has taken, what tests he has done and what order with results to boot, without them we can only advise to go back and do the correct sequence of tests.

Sounds loke another one of those that goes in, is unsure what to do so thinks the internet will reslove it for them.

He's right thought isn't he?!

You lot are almost falling over yourselves to help this bungling fault finder with his lack of knowledge.

This fella is being PAID as an electrician, to find a simple fault, and his first port of call is to ask others?!

This whole situation would actually be funny, if it wasn't so sad!

The OP was viewing the post a few minutes ago but is no longer so I think the fact he hasn't responded brings this thread to an end until he decides to... Hopefully he's going to pop back to the job and re-test ;)

There is no point in advising the op how to proqure the test results if he has no clue how to interpret them.
The first response should have been who are you and what is your quals and capability. Thereafter advising accordingly.

You have an RCD/RCBO tripping out and not resetting , what do you do ?, maybe isolate all equipment on that circuit and then try and reset ?, and if its still an issue then start you're testing?, God knows if I had to ask questions like this, I would give this job up as a bad joke ....

Thanks Darkwood for not attempting to insult my intelligence like many on here.
I had 15 minutes to look at the fault. I switched every isolator I could find off including kitchen appliances and heating plant. I swapped Line and neutral conductors with another RCBO. Same problem. I will return on monday to carry out insulation resistance and the full three step ring tests. Obviously I cannot carry out any live tests as the rcbo will not reset. I was really after advice regarding RCBO specfic faults as I rarely work on them. I mainly work on old commercial plant that have yet to see RCDs at all. I know how to test I just want to eliminate the device before looking else where.

so you first of all disconnect the circuit from the |RCBO. then test it with nothing connected. no use removing loads if the fault is on the wiring, is it? once you have proved the device, then start looking for the fault. bear in mind that it could be overcurrent rather than leakage.

Thanks Darkwood for not attempting to insult my intelligence like many on here.
I had 15 minutes to look at the fault. I switched every isolator I could find off including kitchen appliances and heating plant. I swapped Line and neutral conductors with another RCBO. Same problem. I will return on monday to carry out insulation resistance and the full three step ring tests. Obviously I cannot carry out any live tests as the rcbo will not reset. I was really after advice regarding RCBO specfic faults as I rarely work on them. I mainly work on old commercial plant that have yet to see RCDs at all. I know how to test I just want to eliminate the device before looking else where.

Do HMRC know about your 2nd income?

your previous, posts suggest domestic, QS and commercial experience so this should be a walk in the park!

Reply to RCBO not restting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock