Discuss RCBO operating times in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Testing a job yesterday and realised a couple of things, during the RCBO 1n and 5n tests in a lot of cases the 5n value was actually slightly higher than the 1n value,eg 1n=28.2ms 5n=28.7ms (?). Doesnt seem right that multiplying the test current x5 would have a slower tripping time (although still ok)
Also generally if the 1n was say 28.8 then the 5n was 18.6ms
and if the 1n was 18.9ms then the 5n was 8.9ms.
Does this suggest that a difference in approx 0.10 ms difference between 1n and 5n across the board or is this incidental.

Thanks Guys.

Did you test it at both 0 and 180 degrees?
That can make a big difference - I've seen 7mS and 28mS on the same RCD.
Alan.

Not an expert but I think it's something to do with RCBOs being operated by electronics rather than magnetism as are RCCBs.

Didn't understand this bit, though. Where did these figures come from?(although I assume you meant to write 10ms.).
Does this suggest that a difference in approx 0.10 ms difference between 1n and 5n across the board or is this incidental.

Testing a job yesterday and realised a couple of things, during the RCBO 1n and 5n tests in a lot of cases the 5n value was actually slightly higher than the 1n value,eg 1n=28.2ms 5n=28.7ms (?). Doesnt seem right that multiplying the test current x5 would have a slower tripping time (although still ok)

Thanks Guys.
silver surfer, Don't stress over this.:hand: A difference of 0.5mS is a greater precision than your tester can accurately measure, the trip time accuracy of BS EN61557 RCD testers is +-10% +1 digit.

Reply to RCBO operating times in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock