Discuss Rcbo/Rcd protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
The new breed of sparkies think that if the Zs is high,just stick a rcbo/Rcd on that curcuit.
Back 20 years ago there was no way you would do that.
Interesting in the code book by Napit,thus is what it says.
Opinions plz

Attachments

• Rcbo/Rcd protection DA81F5C8-FEDA-4308-B46B-983E0F095754 - EletriciansForums.net
    DA81F5C8-FEDA-4308-B46B-983E0F095754.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 37
They are correct.

I don't agree with it, but 531.2.2 specifically allows it.

Personally the circuit should be designed correctly, ensuring the Zs is sufficiently low for standard protection to apply.

I think it would be much better if it was allowed only in the most extreme circumstances, for example on a well designed installation, but where the Ze is higher than would normally be expected.

It shouldn't be used to make a poor design complaint.

I agree 100% with Julie on this point. Relying on the complexity of RCD electronics as your primary protection to me is a high risk (compared to a fuse or MCB that can disconnect on adequate Zs) and the regulations ought to be written to allow it only when there are no reasonable alternatives.

The classic case is TT where Zs is too high and, while a RCD is not mandatory, it is typically the only means of meeting disconnection times.

High current / long sub-mains can also get close if Ze is at the upper end but often thay have a 5s disconnect time so with a BS88 fuse you can often be OK, also far cheaper than a fancy MCCB / RCD setup!

They are correct.
Are they? They suggest a C3 observation, which is not appropriate for a compliant solution.

(In the interests of clarity, I don't like that "solution" either.)

Are they? They suggest a C3 observation, which is not appropriate for a compliant solution.

(In the interests of clarity, I don't like that "solution" either.)

The they is the younger electricians in that the regs do allow it. Sorry if it appeared I meant codebreakers

As for codebreakers, well there are many points that appear harsh or wrong, I can't remember the wording in codebreakers, but I think the point is slightly different, willing to be corrected, but last I looked at those recommended observations it read like gobbledegook to me!

i know plenty sparks over the years who no longer even do a ZS tests & just do rcd trip times as according to them the rcd is the be all & end all...

I think there is, another reg that states reliance on an Me device for basic protection should not be relied upon, as, they fail over time as all ME devices do. I never have, or will do. Time to dig out the book.

i know plenty sparks over the years who no longer even do a ZS tests & just do rcd trip times as according to them the rcd is the be all & end all...
The Niceic brought out an article in their connections magazine which says the same thing, as long as the cpc is confirmed by continuity (R1+R2) etc and the rcd is checked and it’s effectiveness tested, then it is not necessary to measure Zs as per the regulations.
Circuits without rcd protection requires Zs to be measured by direct measurement or other means.Rcbo/Rcd protection 76ED816E-0A58-4CED-B287-01CE05A9F81F - EletriciansForums.netRcbo/Rcd protection 9F400807-1563-4681-A39A-A245BCF62D54 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
The Niceic brought out an article in their connections magazine which says the same thing, as long as the cpc is confirmed by continuity (R1+R2) etc and the rcd is checked and it’s functionality tested, then it is not necessary to measure Zs as per the regulations.
Circuits without rcd protection requires Zs to be measured by direct measurement or other means.

for years and years one of my jobs as an apprentice was to go round our big job sites and do all the ZS tests (every single plug socket) Once the subby sparks had all moved on to the next site.

now I would only have to test the rcd at the board

where is the fun in that

for years and years one of my jobs as an apprentice was to go round our big job sites and do all the ZS tests Once the subby sparks had all moved on to the next site.

now I would only have to test the rcd

where is the fun in that
I’ve attached said article for those who want to have a read ??. for the record, I still record Zs.

Reply to Rcbo/Rcd protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock