Discuss RCBO... Should I or shouldnt I?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dimspark

I'm hoping for a bit of advice if any of you kind folk can help me out?? I am installing some data wiring for a customer and as part of the quote I have been asked to re arange some of the floor boxes to suit their desk layout. The floor boxes are wired on tap off leads via under floor busbars. Ive had a look in the board and they are protected by 32amp MCB's. The job doesnt involve any new wiring but does involve socket moves. Does this mean that to fit in with the 17th edition regs I need to change all of the busbar mcb's for RCBO's. If so... this could lead to numerous proplems as the busbar I checked has 16 floor boxes attached, no load problems but serious earth leakage with 32 pc's!! I know the other guy quoting has not put anything in at all about chaning MCB's but obviously I want to do it correctly being a recent 17th edition qualifier and all!! Hope I have explained my predicament correctly and would welcome any comments, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
no requirement for RCD protection in office environment ( under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons ).

As Tel says no requirement, everyone that touches anything now just fit rcd's to everything without understanding the big book. I must admit I install rcd protection in an office if it was for general/cleaners use which are normally floor gromets and not for PC use.

You'll probably find the under floor bus bar arrangement s wired in swa so no RCD required. As for the socket itself in the office it could be an integrated RCD socket if necessary? thus not effecting earth leakage nuisance tripping!

Cheers guys, interesting responses. Ive always been told that unless you label a socket "computer use only" then it must be RCD protected. The counter argument being, whose to stop a cleaner plugging a vacuum in or staff pluging fans, chargers even kettles in. I can also understand the point that the busbar is wired in swa and the tap off lead in metal conduit but guess you'd still have the argument that if its close to a window or door then it could be used for an outside appliance. Telectrix, "no requirement for RCD protection in office environment ( under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons )" is this in the elecricity at works regs and who can define a skilled or instructed person? Ive always thought regulation 411.3.3 was a code 4 on an niceiec cert and must be followed on new installations.!Thanks again for the replies, at least I wont blow myself out of the water when it comes to quoting!!

Your also not making the installation any less safe than it already is, your not doing a new installation your re-siting existing power points, plus the points already posted above.

Reply to RCBO... Should I or shouldnt I?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net