Discuss RCBO socket circuit tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm stuck here fellas.

I have a radial with only one double socket outlet in 2.5mm T&E on a 20A RCBO running five meters in surface mounted trunking. TN-S, R1 and R2 good, 243V measured, Ze 0.12, Zdb 0.29, Zs 0.36, IR all +200MOhms.

RCD trip tests all ok at 0 and 180 and ramp 24mA.

Now these sockets are only used for one thing, two 580W water distillers.

Both have been clamped during operation and are drawing 2.4-2.6A as expected.

Both have been IR tested L-E & N-E and +200MOhms.

I am stumped to the point where I may run in a new socket on a new RCBO, cost not an issue the customer just wants it stopped.

My concern is the issue could be with one or both the distillers units and not the circuit.

I don't have a low current clamp meter so cannot measure earth leakage directly.

Any ideas where to look next, I'm still on the job by the way.

First thoughts are towards faulty distillers..
Have you tried plugging in other appliances?
I'm leaning that way too but cannot think of any definitive way of proving it.

I think it's happening when there thermal overload kicks in, i.e. when they're run dry as they often trip overnight.

I don't want to test that as it may damage the kit but it's the only theory I have at the moment.

I think the customer knows this as they have had them put on a dedicated circuit so as not to take down other areas.

Most likely faulty appliance. How often is it tripping, instantly or randomly? Seen something like this before even though it recently "passed" all its PAT tests. As above swap rcbo for mcb and replace socket for T earth and mark up.

Defiantly points to a faulty appliance. A PAT wouldn't necessarily pick this up though, the equipment is likely 'safe' to pass PAT. Could be worth contacting the appliance manufacture.

Most likely faulty appliance. How often is it tripping, instantly or randomly? Seen something like this before even though it recently "passed" all its PAT tests. As above swap rcbo for mcb and replace socket for T earth and mark up.
What's a T earth? Auto correct fail?

I think it's happening when there thermal overload kicks in, i.e. when they're run dry as they often trip overnight.
Turn them off overnight and see what happens.

Defiantly points to a faulty appliance. A PAT wouldn't necessarily pick this up though, the equipment is likely 'safe' to pass PAT. Could be worth contacting the appliance manufacture.

Just passed PAT test..:D

Nothing wrong with removing sealed plugs, happens all the time with washing machines, etc.
Are the units easily serviceable?
Do they have spare parts?

Reply to RCBO socket circuit tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock