Discuss RCBO socket circuit tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is it one of the appliances, or both?
Is it conceivable to run another dedicated circuit, RCBO controlled and see which of the 2 are causing the problem.

It could be as simple as the socket being faulty

Is it one of the appliances, or both?
Is it conceivable to run another dedicated circuit, RCBO controlled and see which of the 2 are causing the problem.

It could be as simple as the socket being faulty
There are already three circuits there, the new dedicated circuit, the old ring main and a random MIC metal clad single.

All three circuits have tripped but they "manage" it by keeping them on the recently installed dedicated circuit.

They are not the most helpful, like I said will try the manufacturers and look to FCU them.

So - a “plug in” appliance that has degraded over time and likely has 20mA or more earth leakage is to be kept in service by adapting the electrical installation to remove the RCD ?
Just checking I’ve understood this correctly :) .

Asked on the forget information you have given I would say that the equipment is faulty, elements may appear to be fine and test ok but as soon as they get hot the resistance to earth diminishes..
The fault current might even be high enough to take out an mcb

Hi,do you know if any internal switching,is conducive to the correct operation of an RCD?
Machines may be working correctly,but internal control devices could cause the RCD to sense a "fault",and trip.

Is all water collected ,or is the area steaming up in the cold of night. (more ventilation?)
..Like sound of a timer so distillers are not put through overheat trip cycle...
Divide and conquer ,run one independently!

With various types of steam generating equipment the manufacturers recommend no RCD type protection.
Especially as the equipment starts to age..
Without any technical information in the ‘proper’ language hard to diagnose.
With similar equipment the water reservoir/heating chamber will use a method of water level detection

So - a “plug in” appliance that has degraded over time and likely has 20mA or more earth leakage is to be kept in service by adapting the electrical installation to remove the RCD ?
No you
no, reread what has been suggested.

Find a manual and see if this is enlightening.

Contact the manufacturers and see if these machines cause RCD problems.

If it's a known idiosyncracy, adapt circuit.

If it's a genuine fault, ascertain which machine it is and remove from service, repair or replace.

Could you say a little more about the RFC and 'random mic socket' (See #27)? How are they fed in the CU ? By mic do you mean MICC?

I think I would test out these final circuits out too and the gas/water bonding.

Last edited:
And does the RCBO have a functional earth connection?

I'd be interested to know what voltage you measure between N and E at the CU.

Is it definitely TNS?

Re:#37 I was musing on what/where else might the fault be if the two distillers are actually not faulty and as you say all tests so far indicate the new radial and its RCBO are satisfactory.

:)

Could you say a little more about the RFC and 'random mic socket' (See #27)? How are they fed in the CU ? By mic do you mean MICC?

I think I would test out these final circuits out too and the gas/water bonding.
Is the probability these questions will lead to a solution greater than 1000:1.

At the moment I'm after low hanging fruit.

I do respect your knowledge but in reality how likely the gas/water bonding is going to be the cause of this fault?

Forgot to add, been informed they will be disposing of these units in favour of a reverse osmosis unit to generate purified water.

Rather embarrassing I installed the services for the RO unit two weeks ago so should have known they were shortly to bin the distillers. In my defense this was three floors away in a different part of the building but the same site.

Reply to RCBO socket circuit tripping. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock